JDBDC driver

Post by lkr.. » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi ,

does somebody know were to get a cheap jdbc driver for the SQL server
because MS doesnt provide any? The driver should at least run with NT
4.

Thanks

JDBDC driver

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> does somebody know were to get a cheap jdbc driver for the SQL server
> because MS doesnt provide any? The driver should at least run with NT
> 4.

Q.     Where can I get a JDBC driver for SQL Server?  Do Microsoft write one?
Which is the best one?

A. Microsoft don't supply one.  You can get 3rd party ones from a variety of
vendors and some free open-source ones as well.

Which is the best one?  As I don't use any of them I can't comment from
personal experience.  The two most commonly used seem to be WebLogic and
OpenLink - and feedback on them seems good.

The full list that I know of are :-

1.  WebLogic : http://weblogic.beasys.com and www.weblogic.com.  (type 2, 3 or
4.  SQL 6.5 and 7.0).  Download type-4 driver direct from
http://www.weblogic.com/download/downloadkona.html

2.  http:\\www.inetsoftware.de.  JDBC Type 4 drivers for the Microsoft
SQLServer 6.5 and 7.0.  JDBC 1.22 driver to use with JDK 1.1x and a JDBC 2.0
driver (i-net Sprinta) to use with Java 2 (JKD 1.2x).

JDBC 1.22 : http://www.inetsoftware.de/English/produkte/jdbctreiber/Default.htm
JDBC 2.0  : http://www.inetsoftware.de/English/produkte/jdbc2/Default.htm.

3.  www.openlinksw.com (www.openlinksw.co.uk)

4.  http://www.easysoft.com / http://beta.easysoft.com.  JDBC/ODBC bridge.

5.  ftp://freetds.internetcds.com/pub/freetds_jdbc.  Type 4 open-source driver
that is designed to work with SQLServer and Sybase

6.  http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc

7.  http://lpv.home.texas.net  (LpVodbc)

8.  http://www.avenir.net/products/jdbcdrivers.htm

9.  http://www.jturbo.com

10. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ken_North/jdbcvend.htm

11. http://www.sco.com/java/

===

v1.17 2000.04.06
Applies to SQL Server versions  : All
FAQ Categories                  : Connectivity
Related FAQ articles            : odbcunix
Related Microsoft Kb articles   : n/a
Other related information       : n/a
Authors                         : Neil Pike

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (sqlfaq.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. PROGRESS<->JDBDC : DDL question

hi,

I'm trying to CREATE, DROP, ALTER tables from within my Java app
through  jdbc
I'm using the Intersolv JDBCTest Tool Version 1.04, the jdbc Connection
is through OpenLink

This is what I'm getting.

CREATE TABLE test (col1 CHARACTER(30)).
      ok

DROP TABLE test
execute Failed:
NO-LOCK status. DELETE not allowed. (335)
 Vendor: 335
 State:  S1000

ALTER TABLE test  ALTER COLUMN col1 FORMAT "CHARACTER(50)".
execute Failed:
status, update to field not allowed. (396)
 Vendor: 396
 State:  S1000

Obviously there is a problem with a LOCK status
The solution however is not obvious to me (allthough probably simple,
but I admit I'm a bit dense at times :) )

All help greatly appreciated.

Danny

2. dbexport failing

3. ODBC Performance: MS-VC++ driver vs. Intersolv driver

4. HELP: Displaying Squared and Cubed Symbols

5. ntwdblib.dll vs sqlsrv32.dll (native driver vs ODBC driver)

6. How to make nested transactions work?

7. IM006: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed

8. JBoss documentation

9. Compare between Drivers and Database with ODBC driver

10. driver for NT4.0 and New Media PCMCIA (Gateway) Ethernet NIC driver

11. SQL 7 Setup: [ODBC Driver Manager] Driver does not support this function

12. Code working with Type 1 Driver and Not with Type 4 Driver