Filemakerpro to Excel to Sql2000

Post by Brian Whitehea » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 23:39:47

I have the task to create a datbase under FileMakerPro v4.1 then export to excel, finaly to be recuperated into a SQL2000 database. Can anyone throw some light on how this can be done ?? I've never used FMpro before to help matters!
Thanks.....

1. Excel DDE and FileMakerPro

I'm trying to write an Excel macro that will start Filemaker Pro and
allow me to send it (FM Pro) commands via DDE.

I can start Filemaker with the EXEC function.  However, I can't seem to
get INITIATE to work so I can get a channel number necessary for further
communication.

If I use

=EXEC("Full pathname to filemaker pro",,false,)

Filemaker opens

If I then try
=INITIATE("Full pathname to filemaker pro","system")

to open a channel - I get "Cannot find data soure" in a dialog box.

If I drop the quotes from system the INITIATE command returns #NAME?

I'm trying to make this as simple as possible for the user.  I'd prefer
not to make them get involved with opening files and running a bunch of
scripts/macros themselves.  If I have to I'll write some instruction
dialogs telling them what to do and leaving it up to them.

What I really want to do is have the excel macro open my Filemaker
database and execute the import script that is part of the database.  So
far all I can get Excel to do is open Filemaker the application. I can't
get the database or the script.

I've called Microsoft and Claris.  Neither was much help

Anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks,
Ken

...Just my opinion...
Ken Hallinen
Manager, Finance & Planning
Computing Services
Carnegie Mellon University

2. E_FAIL Status when opening tables in Enterprise Manager.

3. Importing Excel sheet to SQL2000!!!??!!

4. Urgent!! Security Error (ACL error) when process the cube

5. Export table from Sql2000 to Excel

6. Export file Generation

7. Error importing from Excel into SQL2000

8. ADO disconnected rs NOT disconnected

9. EXPORTING SQL2000 TABLES TO EXCEL BY VB

10. EXPORTING SQL2000 TABLES TO EXCEL WITH VB

11. viewing calculated members in Excel PivotT with Excel 2000 and Excel XP

12. Urgent: Upgrade from SQL2000 Default, to SQL2000 Cluster fails

13. Backup SQL2000 Registration to another SQL2000 Registration