Any Limitations of MS Access as a Front End

Any Limitations of MS Access as a Front End

Post by -William Karabela » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

We're getting ready to move an existing Access database over to SQL
Server.  We're tyring to decide whether we should keep the front end in
Access or re-do the whole thing in Visual Basic. So my question is when
using Ms Access as a front end are there any limitations as opposed to
using Visual Basic.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bill K.

Post by Mikhail Tito » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,

>We're getting ready to move an existing Access database over to SQL
>Server.  We're tyring to decide whether we should keep the front end in
>Access or re-do the whole thing in Visual Basic. So my question is when
>using Ms Access as a front end are there any limitations as opposed to
>using Visual Basic.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

>Thanks

>Bill K.

NO, NO, NO !!!

IMHO MS Access is best tool for building front end applications for SQL
Server.
We use VB only for applications that  require special  restrictions for user
interface. For example, work without the mouse.

Thanks
Mikhail Titov

Any Limitations of MS Access as a Front End

Post by ffe » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Access has a much larger footprint compared to VB using RDO.  The
memory is better used for other things.  About the only advantage
Access has is easily doing cross tab queries.  Access also tends to be
a bit slower than RDO.  For simple front ends that aren't performance
critical, Access is fine. Source code is better protected when
compiled to native code than it is in Access.  Access also has it's
own db corruption problems (though I'll admit version 8 is much better
than 2...) that can get very ugly and it's security issues are still
obnoxious.

I like to be in control of my programs and Access tends to have it's
own agenda as to when to update data.  You can take control of that
but it sometimes requires more work than VB.  Go with RDO and MTS.

Quote:>Hi,

>We're getting ready to move an existing Access database over to SQL
>Server.  We're tyring to decide whether we should keep the front end in
>Access or re-do the whole thing in Visual Basic. So my question is when
>using Ms Access as a front end are there any limitations as opposed to
>using Visual Basic.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

>Thanks

>Bill K.

1. How Optimizing performance Ms access front-end and sql back-end

Hi,

I'm developing a client server application that consists of a access
front-end and a sql 6.5 back-end. I've first developed the entire app in
access 7 and then used the upsize wizard to get a sql back-end.
All this resulted in a stable app. My problem however is that it is so
extremely slow.

I already know about using indexes, pass thru queries etc. But I need to get
a more acceptable performance. And I need other techniques.

Could it be that ms-access starts to act a little strange in a network
environment. I've a 10 mb network but with access it behaves like a 0,1 mb
network. Would a faster network be a solution.

I also heard about Delphi front-ends. Would be a waste of time but if it is
better than I've to redo it.

Does anybody know any hints, tips, tricks, books, solutions

Thanks in advance,

Daan

2. 19033-NJ-Warren-Data Warehousing-ORACLE-UNIX-SUN-Java-Shell Prog. Lang-SQL-C++-Project Manager

3. MS Access front-end and Sybase back-end

4. hex function

5. Access front ending Sql Server - limitations ?

6. is there a newly Install guide for informix 7.3x -- 9.x/SAP 4.x on Windows

7. Time datatypes, MS-Access front ends and ODBC

8. Newsgroup for Lotus Approach

9. MS Access as SQL server front end.

10. MS Access of VB6 - Which is best front end to SQL Server 7

11. MS-Access as front-end for remote (via internet) SQL-Server backend

12. MS Access 2.0 is a good front end?

13. Paste of Table fails in MS Access Front End