Australian Game Programmers

Post by Lord Shama » Sat, 26 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I am about to complete my HSC in Australia and I'd like to get a job in
game programming. Looking through game company homepages I can see that
a lot of them are looking for talented programmers and 3D graphics
artists. Unfortunately they're all in the US, and traveling 4000km every
morning to get to work is out of the question at the moment. (and will
be until someone invents the teleporter)
        I know for a fact that there are companies here in OZ that create top
notch games, then sell them through other companies in the US like
Apogee, EA, and Origin. Because they don't handle any of the marketing,
they don't have home pages, ads, or anything else. This makes Australian
game companies next to impossible to locate.
        Basically I'll be looking for a job after November 20th, in the Sydney
metropolitan area. I'm a self-taugh and resourceful programmer. I can
code in C, OO C++ and assembler. (I've forgotten PASCAL and BASIC). I'm
proficient with 3D graphics of all types (solid, raytraced and mesh
based), with experience in both 3D art and design, and 3D game
programming. I've also written a text based real-time multiplayer
Client/Server game that supported up to 20 players. (Tested with 5) I've
used various compilers including Borland C++ and DJGPP, and I'm familiar
with the quirks of both.
        If you have any info about game companies in Sydney, or you work at one
that would be interested in hiring me, then please email me. (I'm
willing to work for free until I can get the hang of things.)

--
                                       . . .   the Lord Shaman

           Diplomacy is saying "Nice doggy.." until you find a rock.

Australian Game Programmers

Post by Mark Feldma » Sat, 26 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I am about to complete my HSC in Australia and I'd like to get a job in
> game programming. Looking through game company homepages I can see that
> a lot of them are looking for talented programmers and 3D graphics
> artists. Unfortunately they're all in the US, and traveling 4000km every
> morning to get to work is out of the question at the moment. (and will
> be until someone invents the teleporter)

Do what I did. Good game programmers are hard to find even here in the
US. Keep your eye open for job offers here, send out a bunch of resumes
with a good demo and then come stay for a while. The company I
originally came here to work for even paid for my return ticket.

Quote:>         I know for a fact that there are companies here in OZ that create top
> notch games, then sell them through other companies in the US like
> Apogee, EA, and Origin.

There are??? I searched far and wide and never found a single one. I
think Melbourne House did game development for a while, but I'm not sure
if they're still into it. Many companies (such as the one I'm with now)
have distibution offices back home, but they don't do game development
there.

Quote:> Because they don't handle any of the marketing,
> they don't have home pages, ads, or anything else. This makes Australian
> game companies next to impossible to locate.

Try doing a web search, you should be able to come up with something.
You might also want to try calling the Australian offices of major game
companies directly and ask if they can put you in touch with any
development teams.

Quote:>         Basically I'll be looking for a job after November 20th, in the Sydney
> metropolitan area. I'm a self-taugh and resourceful programmer. I can
> code in C, OO C++ and assembler. (I've forgotten PASCAL and BASIC). I'm
> proficient with 3D graphics of all types (solid, raytraced and mesh
> based), with experience in both 3D art and design, and 3D game
> programming. I've also written a text based real-time multiplayer
> Client/Server game that supported up to 20 players. (Tested with 5) I've
> used various compilers including Borland C++ and DJGPP, and I'm familiar
> with the quirks of both.
>         If you have any info about game companies in Sydney, or you work at one
> that would be interested in hiring me, then please email me. (I'm
> willing to work for free until I can get the hang of things.)

Have a look at http://www.veryComputer.com/,
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/~sls/profile.html! A company called "Dove
Australia" also appear to be actively involved in the game industry,
check out their page at http://www.veryComputer.com/;There's also
a company in Sydney called "NovaSoft Inc" who do internet game
development I believe (if you find em, ask for Ashod Apakain and tell
him I sent you).

You should also try looking for adverti*ts in Australia's *

You might also want to get in touch with Steve Atkinson at the uni of
queensland (http://www.veryComputer.com/~s308231/games/index.html). I don't
know him personally, but he seems to be into game development and might
be able to give you a few good contacts.

Good luck. Be sure to keep in touch,

Activision Studios