DOS4GW

Post by John Jr. Douglas Tynefie » Sun, 04 Dec 1994 08:35:00

   Could someone provide me with some information on this product.
   For instance, is it public domain, sharware ???  And most of all
   what exactly is it (I know it's a DOS extender and I have a very
   rudimentary understanding of that) ??

   Thanks

Dos4GW is the Rational Systems 32-bit dos extender packaged with
the Watcom compilers.  It is not shareware.  It is however, freely
distributable along with software that requires it to run.  It is a
less extensive implementation of Dos4G which is commercially available
from RSI( and not exactly cheap ).

It allows one to write programs on the pc which take advantage of
the 32-bit protected mode available on 386s and up.  This provides
a flat 32 bit adress space and eliminates the segmented pointer
hassles previously associated with dos programming.  It also provides
virtual memory services.

I don't know the lower memory limit required to run dos4gw, but I have
yet to see a game written in it that requires more than 4Megs to run.
Many require 8+ to run quickly though.

John

DOS4GW

Post by Charles » Mon, 05 Dec 1994 00:24:32

Quote:>Dos4GW is the Rational Systems 32-bit dos extender packaged with
>the Watcom compilers.  It is not shareware.  It is however, freely
>distributable along with software that requires it to run.  It is a
>less extensive implementation of Dos4G which is commercially available
>from RSI( and not exactly cheap ).

Note that Rational Systems changed their name to Tenberry Software, Inc.,
although their e-mail address has not changed.

DOS/4G costs an additional $1000 for royalty free distribution for one
app, and $500 for every app thereafter.  There's also something called
DOS/4GW Professional about which I know little.

More information can be found through WATCOM's BBS and FTP site.  I'm
sure Tenberry salesfolks would be more than happy to provide
information as well. :-)

-ccwf

DOS4GW

Post by Dave LeComp » Wed, 07 Dec 1994 04:10:34

>DOS/4G costs an additional $1000 for royalty free distribution for one
>app, and $500 for every app thereafter.  There's also something called
>DOS/4GW Professional about which I know little.

Um... the DOS extender that comes with the Watcom compiler is
completely royalty free, isn't it?

As contrasted with Phar Lap's, which is not.

--
David W LeCompte | "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
MaK Technologies |      -Ralph Waldo Emerson

DOS4GW

Post by Lee Loren » Wed, 07 Dec 1994 08:55:51

>>DOS/4G costs an additional $1000 for royalty free distribution for one
>>app, and $500 for every app thereafter.  There's also something called
>>DOS/4GW Professional about which I know little.

>Um... the DOS extender that comes with the Watcom compiler is
>completely royalty free, isn't it?

>As contrasted with Phar Lap's, which is not.

DOS/4GW is ROYALTY-FREE.

DOS/4GW    is included with WATCOM C/C++
DOS/4GW Pro costs $249, and adds 4gb map (as opposed to 32mb)
DOS/4G     is the "generic" extender package that Tenberry can customize
           for the customer's needs...

There's more, but I haven't outgrown plain ol' 4GW yet

                                        Lee

1. Watcom & DOS4GW...

I'm looking for general tutorial information on what exactly protected
mode is, how it varies from real mode, and, in general, anything else
about it--the Watcom CD-ROM documentation is skimpy, to say the least.
--
 _/\_
/ L  \

Painting, n.:
        The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather, and
        exposing them to the critic.
                -- Ambrose Bierce

2. GNU Emacs Manual?

3. DOS4GW - Royalties?

4. Autobudget--no income

5. Bi-modal interrupt handler (dos4gw)

6. Counting strings in Quattro Pro?

7. DOS4GW and DPMI?

8. Data loss from Cell phone????

9. Best Way to Play FLC/FLI in DOS4GW?

10. Help: mouse int 0x33 under Watcom/Dos4gw

11. --> DOS4GW.EXE version 1.97 -- Won't work on a few machines?

12. dpmi help or dos4gw