Cross Platform Games ...

Post by Sandy Wal » Thu, 22 Dec 1994 00:54:21

I am looking to developing a *very serious* game, in the sense that it be
available on a variety of platforms. The final format will probably be
CDROM, but that hasn't been finalized.

Does anyone out there have experience with multimedia toolkits/libraries
that can be linked with C++ code for displaying animation sequences on
different machines? The primary base would be Windows and Mac with some
of the other CD/cartridge machines later.

All the rendering and animation will be done on SGI's with SoftImage, Eddie
and Alias software. The frames will be transfered to which ever platform
we finally choose so the drawing/editting capabilities are not an issue.
It will basically be a "bunch of frames in sequence". We just want to play
them back at the right speed with a sound track.

Any references would be greatly appreciated.

-Sandy
--
----
Mr. Sandy Walsh| I wish that I die peacefully in my sleep like my Dad ...

Cross Platform Games ...

Post by Bret Patters » Thu, 22 Dec 1994 10:38:38

: I am looking to developing a *very serious* game, in the sense that it be
: available on a variety of platforms. The final format will probably be
: CDROM, but that hasn't been finalized.

: Does anyone out there have experience with multimedia toolkits/libraries
: that can be linked with C++ code for displaying animation sequences on
: different machines? The primary base would be Windows and Mac with some
: of the other CD/cartridge machines later.

Your best bet is going to be to make your own. Just keep the following in mind.
Well in order to be able to play the game on different operating system with
minimal changes you will need to code your game with this in mind. Make all
image manipulation routines work on offscreen memory buffers and have a routine
that updates the screen from this buffer. Then you can just rewrite the screen
initialization code and update code etc for each platform and recompile
with the platform specific code. Thats what I'm doing. Of course you
have to worry about big endian and little endian and a few other nuances. The
key to portability is to modularize the code and seperate out portable code
from non portable code. Also consider that an int is always the native register
size of the machine, like 16 bits on a 286 and 32 on a 486, while a vax might
be 64 bits. Also keep bit manipulation to a minimum because of big endianess
and little endianess. Theres alot to consider but once you get the hang of it
its not too bad. Sound is another issue also. Sound is even harder to make
portable than graphics, in my opinion.

: All the rendering and animation will be done on SGI's with SoftImage, Eddie
: and Alias software. The frames will be transfered to which ever platform
: we finally choose so the drawing/editting capabilities are not an issue.
: It will basically be a "bunch of frames in sequence". We just want to play
: them back at the right speed with a sound track.

: Any references would be greatly appreciated.

: -Sandy
: --
: ----
: Mr. Sandy Walsh| I wish that I die peacefully in my sleep like my Dad ...

--

Anonymous FTP from ftp.zilker.net       Voice line: (512)206-3850

Cross Platform Games ...

Post by John Hatt » Thu, 22 Dec 1994 23:39:45

>I am looking to developing a *very serious* game, in the sense that it be
>available on a variety of platforms. The final format will probably be
>CDROM, but that hasn't been finalized.

>Does anyone out there have experience with multimedia toolkits/libraries
>that can be linked with C++ code for displaying animation sequences on
>different machines? The primary base would be Windows and Mac with some
>of the other CD/cartridge machines later.

A good start would be Apple's QuickTime 2.0.  It is a movie/sound player
and API available for Macintosh and MS Windows.  Its performance is good
(on a par with MS's MCI functions to play AVI), it handles MPEG, and it
has a very similar API between the two platforms.  It's also not too
expensive ($195 for a CD with API's and players for both platforms).  I've
seen it used in a few multimedia apps (_Critical Path_ coming immediately
to mind).  It's in the latest APDA (Apple Programmer/Developer Assoc.)
catalog.  To get a catalog, call (800) 282-2732

--
John Hattan          High Popeness for life of the First Church of Shatnerology
The Code Zone        Sweet Software for a Saturnine World

1. cross-platform?

Is cross-platform really that important for games development?  Can someone
please give an estimate what is the percentage of U.S. home use PCs on IBM
competible platform, vs. that on Mac platform?

Pls post instead of mail, thanks.

2. Dell and SBS

3. Console (Cross Platform N64) Programming

4. FP2K and Sub Webs

5. Curious about cross platform compilers

6. Windows SP3 is out

7. Cross Platform Design

8. Quickdraw 3D 1.5 -- cool, cross-platform, fast?

9. 3D techniques that are cross-platform?

10. Cross-platform user interfaces (was: Why a graphical mud?

11. svga platform game

12. Why Mac not a games platform