3D techniques that are cross-platform?

Post by George Lo » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

With all the discussions about dos and windows I think I know the answer to this
question but.......

Are the currently used techniques (not code) used in 3D games(ala Doom,Wolf)
cross-platform? In other words, If I am learning about making a 3D engine
in windows or dos, can I use those same ideas on a Mac? (or vice versa)

Thanks

George Loch

Post by Peter Matt » Sun, 03 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>Are the currently used techniques (not code) used in 3D games(ala Doom,Wolf)
>cross-platform? In other words, If I am learning about making a 3D engine
>in windows or dos, can I use those same ideas on a Mac? (or vice versa)

Yes. The only things that are platform specific are moving from an
offscreen buffer to the screen and handling user input. Well...there may
be optimizations you can make to the graphics if you program for a certain
platform.

As an example, a little doom-like texturing engine I wrote works under unix,
dos and macs. The only differences in the source are in 1 file...which just
happens to contain all the system specific routines. :)

Peter Mattis

Post by Bob Provenche » Sun, 03 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>Are the currently used techniques (not code) used in 3D games(ala Doom,Wolf)
>cross-platform? In other words, If I am learning about making a 3D engine
>in windows or dos, can I use those same ideas on a Mac? (or vice versa)

I can't think of anything about 3d techniques used in games that is platform specific.
It's just the presentation that is -- i.e. moving it from some rendering, non-platform
specific buffer to the display screen.  Although it may have some faults, Lary Meyers'
book shows how to code a raycaster for both DOS and Windows.

--
|  Bob Provencher                     Aesir Software, Inc.  |
|  (908)-238-1934                      Fax: (908)-613-6134  |

1. Quickdraw 3D 1.5 -- cool, cross-platform, fast?

Greetings,
        I've been playing with Quickdraw 3D lately, and have been very
impressed with it.  It's pretty neat, and now that 180MHz Mac clones
with hardware 3D acceleration on the motherboard go for $1500, it's
starting to hit mainstream.
        I haven't yet tried the Win32 port of the library, yet, though.  In
fact, all I know about it is that it's what SGI is basing their mac and
Win32 versions of CosmoPlayer VRML on.
        Anyone tried making cross-platform 3-D stuff from Apple's Quickdraw 3D,
or even tried using it on the Windows side that could provide some
feedback?
(It can be found at "http://www.quickdraw3d.apple.com/")
        --Sam

2. Flakey comm

3. cross-platform?

4. delete dll

5. Cross-platform user interfaces (was: Why a graphical mud?

6. MIPS register handling question

7. Console (Cross Platform N64) Programming

8. Network statistics incorrect

9. Curious about cross platform compilers

10. Cross Platform Design

11. Cross Platform Games ...

12. i am looking the book Building a 3D Game Engine in C++

13. 3D Math (current, fast techniques)