Is the YAROZE a SCAM ?

Post by Anthony Ros » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Just a few questions/thoughts about SONY's black PlayStation
(Designed to help us poor guys & gals learn development for their system
at a reduced cost)

1) Why do you only get a very basic set of libraries?
(Are they waiting for talented programmers to find new ways of accessing
the hardware and push the envelope of what the machine can do?)

2) Why must the CD drive be used for boot up when programmers might wish
to use CD audio in their programs?

3) Why do SONY say so little about the license agreement in the FAQ's?
(I believe that you lose the development bits when the agreement lapses)

4) How many people here have been using a Yaroze?

5) Could you see yourself being able to develop a decent product with
it?

6) How keen are developers these days to pay for partially finished
projects from a home-based programmer?
(It's unlikely that a lone programmer would have the time/skills to have
everything just right)

What is REALLY going on here?

Any discussion is greatly appreciated!

------------------------------------
Anthony Ross

If replying by direct e-mail change tonyr to trsoft in my address

I will charge 500$ for the proof-reading of unsolicited commercial
e-mail sent to any e-mail address on my new domain.
Sending of such material will be regarded as acceptance of this charge.

Is the YAROZE a SCAM ?

Post by Glenn Corp » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Just a few questions/thoughts about SONY's black PlayStation
> (Designed to help us poor guys & gals learn development for their syst
> em
> at a reduced cost)

> 1) Why do you only get a very basic set of libraries?
> (Are they waiting for talented programmers to find new ways of accessi
> ng
> the hardware and push the envelope of what the machine can do?)

I'm not sure it's possible to go lower level with Yaroze, there are
plenty of programmers finding 'new ways' of accessing the hardware with
the full price dev kits.

Quote:> 2) Why must the CD drive be used for boot up when programmers might wi
> sh
> to use CD audio in their programs?

Just part of the protection system.

Quote:> 3) Why do SONY say so little about the license agreement in the FAQ's?
> (I believe that you lose the development bits when the agreement lapse
> s)

another part of it.

Quote:> 4) How many people here have been using a Yaroze?

I have no idea, it depends how many people fell for it, I thought it was
pretty amusing, 'in the old days, people could sit in their bedroom and
write games for their old 8 bit computers, consoles have made this
impossible but we at Sony have made Yaroze so it's now feasible again,
all you need to do is buy a PC to plug it into...', at the time they
announced it it sort of made sense, as you could just about buy a cheap
PC and a Yaroze for less than a similarly powerful PC games development
setup, but cheaper 3D accelerators, properly working openGL and D3D and
cheaper versions of Watcom, MSVC++ and a win32 compatible Gnu compiler,
combined with the usual falling PC prices mean this is no longer true.

Quote:> 5) Could you see yourself being able to develop a decent product with
> it?

Apparently the libraries they provide were used for the original ridge
racer, which also loaded in one go and just used the CD for music, so
yes you can, but not to the standard of today's best.

Quote:> 6) How keen are developers these days to pay for partially finished
> projects from a home-based programmer?
> (It's unlikely that a lone programmer would have the time/skills to ha
> ve
> everything just right)

It's possible I guess, it's more likely that a Yaroze programmer could
use a demo to get a job, I know we have one in the office just in case
anyone sends a Yaroze demo with his CV/Resume but I don't know if this
has actually happened yet

Quote:

> What is REALLY going on here?

I Think Sony saw it as a way of getting access to a lot of game demos
while making a small profit on the hardware, not quite the philanthropic
gesture they claimed but not the con trick that some paranoid types
claim either.

   Like the idea of a spam
  free alternative to usenet?
 take a look at CIX conferencing
http://www.compulink.co.uk/servicesf.html

Is the YAROZE a SCAM ?

Post by Michael Duff » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Just a few questions/thoughts about SONY's black PlayStation
> (Designed to help us poor guys & gals learn development for their system
> at a reduced cost)

I don't think the Yarouze was meant for people to develop commercial games
on.

It probably made more sense in Japan where personal computers are less
common than in America/the West.  In Japan there are TONS of console games,
but not that many (native) computer games.  Therefore if a hobbist in Japan
wanted to write for the machine they played games on, it would be a
Playstation, not a PC.

Also, Sony didn't plan on games being started on a Yaroze and then accepted
by a publisher to be taken to completion.  They simply wanted a way to
cheaply train PlayStation programmers so that companies would have a larger
pool of technically trained people to hire from.  In the west you can have
the dream of working in your bedroom to create a game that will make you
rich and famous.  In Japan that kind of idea is considered completely
ludicrous (I speak from personal experience here).  In Japan individuals
don't make games, companies do.

Later,
Michael Duffy

1. $500 GOVERNMENT SCAM?????

Just curious, but is this ratings proposal strictly
for games or does it apply to all computer software?

For instance, would a screen saver be covered?  What if
the screen saver can be played like a game?  How about
an illustrated calendar program?  What about simulators /
VR type programs?  Interactive multi-media presentations?
How about a hyper-text story that has multiple paths
determined by the reader?

If it only applies to games, who decides what is a game?

What would happen if a company such as ID released a game
"DOOF" where all of the characters were clowns who threw
water balloons at each other, but there also just happened
to be a public domain data file "DOOM" which replaced the clowns
with blood thirsty bad guys and the water balloons with
rocket launchers?

What if a cartridge game goes out as G rated but owners
of the game genie can enter a patch which causes
articles of clothing to be transparent?

Also, will it only apply to stuff being sold retail?
If the product isn't shrink wrapped where does the rating
sticker go and who is responsible for keeping it there?

Who will police what is distributed electronically?  If
some federal agency is responsible to control the
distribution of wicked games, will they just stop there
or will they want to control the distribution of all
materials deemed wicked?

2. NE2000 problems with OS/2

3. BREAKING NEWS ON PAYPAL SCAM!!!!! 8222

4. SparcStation 10 dosen't boot after installation of a 2nd cpu

5. BREAKING NEWS ON PAYPAL SCAM!!!!! 2073

6. UMB means Uninitialized Memory Block?

7. GET $40K FOR ONLY 6 BUCKS, THIS IS NOT A SCAM!!!

8. WinG and Watcom-- an update

9. $500 Government Scam (Re: GOVERNME

10. No Scam Second Income

11. Net Yaroze