.

Post by Richard Johns » Thu, 27 Jan 1994 14:51:11

 PL> QuickBasic, during high school.  I think my greatest accomplishment
 PL> so far
 PL> was writing a simple drawing program for the IBM XT in CGA graphics.

 PL> I say my second best programming task was writing a program which
 PL> generates a 3d pie chart in which each individual piece could be
 PL> exploded.

 PL> Although these may seem like nothing to you, they do mean a lot to
 PL> me.
 PL> Do you think these two of my experiences are worth being put down
 PL> on my resume if I should ever apply for a programming job
 PL> or internship relating to cs???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

 PL> I think I should definitely learn C, C++, and
 PL> ASM really well before I get out of college because many programming
 PL> jobs I read in New York Times require them.  The only problem is,
 PL> the CS progrm at Buffalo offers C only as a 1 credit course.
 PL> I don't understand why they would neglect such an important
 PL> programming
 PL> language as C and emphasize on Modula 2 instead.  I guess I'll have

BECAUSE THEY'RE BUTT-HEADS!!! HAHAHA!
Speaking of which, it's also stupid to have humanities classes in college.
Physical education classes would be more useful than that.

This reminds me of the episode on Wonder Years where Kevin says school
can take the most fun an natural subject (in this case basketball) and
sap it of every bit of fun. That's what they do to programming in college
as far as I'm concerned.

-- Via DLG Pro v1.0

.

Post by Timothy Wo » Sat, 29 Jan 1994 06:24:05

> PL> QuickBasic, during high school.  I think my greatest accomplishment
> PL> so far
> PL> was writing a simple drawing program for the IBM XT in CGA graphics.

> PL> I say my second best programming task was writing a program which
> PL> generates a 3d pie chart in which each individual piece could be
> PL> exploded.

> PL> Although these may seem like nothing to you, they do mean a lot to
> PL> me.
> PL> Do you think these two of my experiences are worth being put down
> PL> on my resume if I should ever apply for a programming job
> PL> or internship relating to cs???

>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

> PL> I think I should definitely learn C, C++, and
> PL> ASM really well before I get out of college because many programming
> PL> jobs I read in New York Times require them.  The only problem is,
> PL> the CS progrm at Buffalo offers C only as a 1 credit course.
> PL> I don't understand why they would neglect such an important
> PL> programming
> PL> language as C and emphasize on Modula 2 instead.  I guess I'll have

>BECAUSE THEY'RE BUTT-HEADS!!! HAHAHA!
>Speaking of which, it's also stupid to have humanities classes in college.
>Physical education classes would be more useful than that.

>This reminds me of the episode on Wonder Years where Kevin says school
>can take the most fun an natural subject (in this case basketball) and
>sap it of every bit of fun. That's what they do to programming in college
>as far as I'm concerned.

>-- Via DLG Pro v1.0

This is funny.  Just a minute ago I read a post in which the poster is asking
about what PC hardware to buy, and blah blah blah, lots of rambling by
someone that DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE.  Then the very next message is a flame by
the SAME PERSON.  Alot more rambling having nothing to do with programming
games (I realize that this doesn't either - but this deserved a reply...)

Richard, send me your address so that I can send you a dime, and you can
BUY A CLUE.

Back up your hard-drive to floppy disks... better buy as many clues as you can
afford.  You'll make a great games programmer Rich.

Sorry - it's been a long day...

Chris
--
I express my own views, non of those belongs to BNR

.

Post by Dale Ponti » Sun, 30 Jan 1994 00:08:29

|> >BECAUSE THEY'RE BUTT-HEADS!!! HAHAHA!
|> >Speaking of which, it's also stupid to have humanities classes in college.
|> >Physical education classes would be more useful than that.

Because they're trying to teach you computer science, not hacking. A college
has to balance teaching you to think with training you for a job. Modula-2
helps you concentrate more on the fundamentals. After you understand that
you can go learn tweaks, tricks, and hacks in C.

Besides, C really isn't learned in the classroom, but through extended use.
It has so many fine points that they can easily bog you down in a course
not dedicated specifically to the language. Concepts learned in another
language can, however, be carried over to C easily enough.

Dale Pontius