Cross Platform Design

Post by Jason E. Leight » Fri, 22 Jul 1994 15:16:50

  I am interested in doing a simple networked game.  The trouble is,
I want to develop it on different platforms (Windows,MAC,UniX).  Is there a
good cross-platform development kit better than Zinc?  I hate that damn
thing...

Thanks.

--
  "I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between." - Brian Eno

Cross Platform Design

Post by JANG HIN LA » Sun, 24 Jul 1994 03:32:46

Quote:

>  I am interested in doing a simple networked game.  The trouble is,
>I want to develop it on different platforms (Windows,MAC,UniX).  Is there a
>good cross-platform development kit better than Zinc?  I hate that damn
>thing...

XVT has proven to be an outstanding cross-platform toolkit.  I believe
the December 1993 or January 1994 issue of Btye Magazine reviewed
four toolkits including Zinc.

Hin :)

Cross Platform Design

Post by jno.. » Thu, 28 Jul 1994 20:37:21

>   I am interested in doing a simple networked game.  The trouble is,
> I want to develop it on different platforms (Windows,MAC,UniX).  Is there a
> good cross-platform development kit better than Zinc?  I hate that damn
> thing...

> Thanks.

> --
>   "I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between." - Brian Eno

Take a look at the Zapp class libraries from Inmark Development.  They're
supposed to have Mac support sometime this year.  Contact them at

John

Cross Platform Design

Post by Brett Bourb » Thu, 04 Aug 1994 00:25:33

> >   I am interested in doing a simple networked game.  The trouble is,
> > I want to develop it on different platforms (Windows,MAC,UniX).  Is there a
> > good cross-platform development kit better than Zinc?  I hate that damn
> > thing...

> > Thanks.

We make a cross-platform development environment, though it is more of a total
solution to the multi-platform problem (ie, abstract out everything, network,
file system, printing, window system, memory model, communications, etc.)

We support all the major platforms, but it may be a little too costly for
making a PD game (geared towards the commercial market).
--                             __
Brett Bourbin           \  / /(_  /\/  11440 Commerce Park Drive

  ..uupsi!visix!brett    Software Inc  703.758.8230

Cross Platform Design

Post by mvale.. » Thu, 04 Aug 1994 22:28:38

: >

: >
: > >   I am interested in doing a simple networked game.  The trouble is,
: > > I want to develop it on different platforms (Windows,MAC,UniX).  Is there a
: > > good cross-platform development kit better than Zinc?  I hate that damn
: > > thing...
: > >

: We make a cross-platform development environment, though it is more of a total
: solution to the multi-platform problem (ie, abstract out everything, network,
: file system, printing, window system, memory model, communications, etc.)

: We support all the major platforms, but it may be a little too costly for
: making a PD game (geared towards the commercial market).

  On the PD side look for suit in good ftp sites everywhere :-) ( I know
 its in src.doc.ic.ac.uk under /computing/graphics/libraries ). SUIT is
 available for several platforms and is a library of standard widgets.

  C U!

   Mario Valente

Cross Platform Design

Post by John Hatt » Fri, 05 Aug 1994 08:30:06

>>   I am interested in doing a simple networked game.  The trouble is,
>> I want to develop it on different platforms (Windows,MAC,UniX).  Is there a
>> good cross-platform development kit better than Zinc?  I hate that damn
>> thing...

>> Thanks.

>> --
>>   "I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between." - Brian Eno

>Take a look at the Zapp class libraries from Inmark Development.  They're
>supposed to have Mac support sometime this year.  Contact them at

>John

Also, take a look at StarView.  I am currently using it to write a series
of cross-platform games for Windows, Mac, and OS/2.  It is an extremely
robust class framework (as is zApp). I've looked at both zApp and
StarView.  Here's a couple of advantages/disadvantages that come to mind. . .

SV -   Mac support.  Help engine support for the Mac.  Balloon help for
       Windows and OS/2.

zApp - Source code.  Layout-able windows (child windows that
       automatically size and position themselves if the parent is sized).

IMHO, In the categories of clarity of the object tree and robustness of
the object classes, SV and zApp are neck-and-neck, and they are way ahead
of the rest of the cross-platform frameworks out there.

I can testify that cross-platform games are do-able under StarView; I've
even written an arcade game with it.  The biggest porting headache is
dealing with what some compiler vendors are pushing out claiming to be C++
(MPW C++ for the Mac being the worst culprit).

The only piece keeping SV from getting my highest recommendation is its
lack of support for any kind of wave audio. It has a Sound object, but,
alas, it only controls the various system beeps.

--

 This is a 3-D signature. Cross your  ::::::;::;:;:::;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;:;;:;:;:;: