Releasing DDraw flipping surfaces

Post by Roc » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

OK, I can't seem to find out the correct way to release a complex
flippnig surface. "Insde DirectX" says that complex surfaces are
created and released with one call for all attached surfaces. I look
at the flip2D example in the DirectX samples, and they call release
for both the back page and the primary page, even though they are both
created with a single call to CreateSurface.

Which way is correct??

Rock

Releasing DDraw flipping surfaces

Post by Doug Linle » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

The Inside DirectX is the best examples to go by.  Microsoft admits that
they're DX examples in the SDK use very bad DirectX programming habits.
When you release the primary surface, all of the attatched surfaces are
released as well.

--Doug Linley
Fantasy Productions interactive

>OK, I can't seem to find out the correct way to release a complex
>flippnig surface. "Insde DirectX" says that complex surfaces are
>created and released with one call for all attached surfaces. I look
>at the flip2D example in the DirectX samples, and they call release
>for both the back page and the primary page, even though they are both
>created with a single call to CreateSurface.

>Which way is correct??

>Rock

1. DDraw Layers and surfaces - Difference ?

Could someone point out to (stupid) me what is the difference between an
ordinary DirectDraw surface and one that is a layer ? I looked in the
documentation, but could not find the answer ?

Anyone ?

 =======================
 =-  Martin Randall   -#
 = Software Asylum Ltd #
 #######################

2. Tape Backup Software Opinions

3. DDraw and D3D: Creating surfaces ?

4. GEnieLamp A2 August 1993

5. How do I clear a ddraw surface?

6. DESKJET NOISE FIX

7. DDraw multiple surfaces

8. HELP!!! Problem with E3000/SSA114 - does anyone have any ideas?

9. DDraw blit to primary surface possible?

10. DDraw, surfaces & tile-engin.Could you help ?

11. DirectX[DDRAW] surfaces

12. Pixels on DDraw Surfaces