Need advice on raycasting engine

Post by James Tsill » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Greetings Game Wizards,

I am working on developing a ray casting engine for use in games. The
engine I have gotten to work so far runs under a protected mode
development kit based on DJGPP. It uses 640x480x256 and is adequately
fast for quite a few applications. Unfortunately it is based on the
engine given in "Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus" text and only
supports a set of equal height objects on a 2D regular square grid. This
allows the engine to be very simple but I want to be able to ray cast
objects which are of variable height and can be located in the z
coordinate space as well.

The only algorithm I can think of would be to raycast each pixel and
check for x/y/z intersections similar to the x/y intersection checking
done in the text. I can imagine this would be incredibly slow even using
32 bit integer math under protected mode.

There must be a better way. I've seen the results in games like DOOM.
Can someone suggest an algorithm which will allow this z-coord ray
casting but will be fast.

Thanks for your help,
-Jim.
--

 ____***___
 \..*...*./

Post by uglmil.. » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> Greetings Game Wizards,

> I am working on developing a ray casting engine for use in games. The
> engine I have gotten to work so far runs under a protected mode
> development kit based on DJGPP. It uses 640x480x256 and is adequately
> fast for quite a few applications. Unfortunately it is based on the
> engine given in "Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus" text and only
> supports a set of equal height objects on a 2D regular square grid. This
> allows the engine to be very simple but I want to be able to ray cast
> objects which are of variable height and can be located in the z
> coordinate space as well.

> The only algorithm I can think of would be to raycast each pixel and
> check for x/y/z intersections similar to the x/y intersection checking
> done in the text. I can imagine this would be incredibly slow even using
> 32 bit integer math under protected mode.

> There must be a better way. I've seen the results in games like DOOM.
> Can someone suggest an algorithm which will allow this z-coord ray
> casting but will be fast.

Check out "Gardens of Imagination" and that other book whose title was something about
Amazing 3D games......

Quote:

Post by Robert Elsn » Mon, 06 Nov 1995 04:00:00

[...]

: --
:
:  ____***___
:  \..*...*./
:   \.*..../
:    \*...*  * Jim Tsillas - Senior Software Engineer     *
:     \**/   * Cascade Communications Corp.               *
:      \/    * 5 Carlisle Road, Westford MA 01886         *
:    CASCADE
:
DOOM does not do a heck of a lot or raycasting.  I beleive that it casts out a
ray to check to see if anything is hit, it then computes the other stuff from
a BSP tree.

1. Game Company seeks Raycasting/3-D Engine

Sony Interactive Studios is looking for a contractor to provide a Windows 95
based Raycasting engine, which is capable of supporting up to 1024 x 768 x 256
color mode. The engine must be written using the Windows 95 Game SDK, and
should have a high frame rate in the 640 x 480 x 256 color mode. This engine
must also include support for a polygonal-based engine for character
animations (done using Motion Capture).

If you have an engine which may work, or are interested, contact me by email.

2. Philips Consumer Electronics

3. problem with raycasting-engine. Please help !

4. Truly Weird Bug(??)

5. Raycasting Engine. ftp site?

6. 840AV wanted

7. DOOM-like raycasting engine

8. Call progress information

9. raycasting engine

10. Raycasting engine speed

11. Fixed point math used in raycasting engines

12. Help with floor texturing in raycasting engine