A Windows Game...

Post by Pedro Emilio Schapira Christians » Sun, 10 Apr 1994 05:17:42

Hi!

I have made a little game for windows and I want to distribute it as a
freeware. I just want to know where can I send it, do I have to send it
via FTP? or anyway, how do I do it...

        Thanks...

                        EMILIO SCHAPIRA

1. Updating Window Game according to their current states(stages) of game

In games there are a few possible states(stages). Like start up menu
selection,game menu, moving around on the map, fighting, etc.
How should one update this different states(stages) according?
If one has used a typical
while(1)
{
    process messages
    update states
I believe one would have used a long switch case, and enumerate the states,
like GAME_STARTUP_MENU, GAME_SELECT_CHARACTER, GAME_MAP_MOVEMENT, etc
But switch cases are often look upon with disgust(often), as they actually
expand out to long if else statements(or am I wrong). Anyway what I am
trying to say that is switch slows down the executions.

Any suggestions?

While I'm at it, I was wondering, should coding clearity be exchanged for
speed(even for a little more clearity)?
What I was thinking was like this, in the loop
while(1)
{
    if got messages
        process messages
    else
    {
        if time to update application
        {
            switch stages
            {
                update application
            }
        }
        switch stages
        {
            update screen
        }
    }

If you go throught this you have to go through 2 switch cases, which will
slow down the game a lot(by how much I don't know). It does account for more
clearity though. But for speed I should do this
while(1)
{
    if got messages
        process messages
    else
    {
        switch stages
        {
            if time to update application
                update application
            update screen
        }
    }

So which should I go for?

--
Kent

Kent's Programming Diary
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Ring/9684/

2. ANT and !Internet

3. Best Compiler for game Windows 95 Game Creation

4. MCD in N.C. sells 24 falcons

5. FS: Windows 95 Game Devlopers Guide - using the game sdk

6. Updated Acorn web site!

7. X-Windows lib for Windows

8. sendmail 8.6.4 security

9. Teach Yourself Windows... and 3D Graphics in Windows Misc

10. Full screen Under windows & Stop Windows from interfering....

11. Newbie to windows asks : best way to handle the keyboard in windows?

12. Clearing a window in windows 95

13. Windows Game programming