Looking for image manipulation program (under Windows)

Looking for image manipulation program (under Windows)

Post by Jon Blo » Fri, 02 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I'm not very familiar with the capabilities of the current set
of image/paint programs that are out for Windows, but I need to
get one, because I'm writing a game where I want to display 8-bits-
per-pixel images and I want to create those images.

More specifically, I have higher-depth images in various formats
(most of them GIF) and I want to dither them into 8-bit indexed color.
I am generating my colormap with a C program that takes various
parameters and spits out a color spread.  I need a paint program
that will read the palette output by that generator program (right
now the palette is written as 256 8/8/8 rgb triples, but that is of
course modifiable), and then dither various other images to that
palette, allowing me to save the results as indexed color images.

I have tried using Adobe Photoshop to do this; I am able to load
the palette as a .raw image, but the only way I can see to turn that
image into a Photoshop palette is by eye-droppering each color from
the image into the little Photoshop palette gizmo, and this is way
too slow and tedious to be of any real use.

I tried using SatanPaint, but SatanPaint seems to enjoy reordering
the colors in the palette, rendering it useless.  (This is a further
constraint I forgot to mention: the palette has to stay in order so
that I can do quick shading calculations from within the game.)

Can anyone out there recommend a good program that will do this?
Shareware would suit me just fine, but commercial is okay too, so
long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

    -Jon Blow
     Bolt Action Software
     Killing tomorrow's villains today!

Looking for image manipulation program (under Windows)

Post by Jeff La » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm not very familiar with the capabilities of the current set
>of image/paint programs that are out for Windows, but I need to
>get one, because I'm writing a game where I want to display 8-bits-
>per-pixel images and I want to create those images.

>More specifically, I have higher-depth images in various formats
>(most of them GIF) and I want to dither them into 8-bit indexed color.
>I am generating my colormap with a C program that takes various
>parameters and spits out a color spread.  I need a paint program
>that will read the palette output by that generator program (right
>now the palette is written as 256 8/8/8 rgb triples, but that is of
>course modifiable), and then dither various other images to that
>palette, allowing me to save the results as indexed color images.

        PhotoPaint 6 can do this easily.  (convert to 256 colour, custom
palette, load your palette.)  I think it retails at $280 cdn, considerably
less than Photoshop, however:

Quote:>I have tried using Adobe Photoshop to do this; I am able to load
>the palette as a .raw image, but the only way I can see to turn that
>image into a Photoshop palette is by eye-droppering each color from
>the image into the little Photoshop palette gizmo, and this is way
>too slow and tedious to be of any real use.

        Are you sure this is the only way?  I don't have a copy of Photoshop,
so am unable to confirm this, but I believe the convert to 256ish colour
dialog has an option for using a custom palette.
        At the worst, you might have to load the source gif, convert to
rgb, then convert to indexed with your favorite palette.

--
                - Jeff Lait (SOL)

1. Image manipulation program wanted

I'm looking for a basic image manipulation program that will handle gif,
tga, and bmp formats (at least).  I would also like chanel operations and
(hopefully) alpha channel support.  Here is the kicker, I would like to
be able to import color palettes from other files and apply them as well
as edit color palettes.  I've been using GIMP on Linux and
SGI's for a while and really like it but I'm moving developement over to
PC's.  Does there exist anything like this?  Or am I going to have to
bite the bullet and write some code to do what I want <grin>.

Kenton

2. How to display lines matching a pattern only, while hiding all the rest ?

3. looking for a forum on windows game programming

4. CORPORATE END-USERS GROUP IN OBJECT-ORIENTED TECHNOLOGY

5. Looking for good 2D sprite animation programs for dos/windows

6. 123 to Quatro Pro

7. Looking for Windows 95 programming in L.A.

8. nondestructive search & replace in rich-text-field

9. Programming Windows card games -- looking for square one

10. Copying images into a X window

11. need program to animate still images

12. WHAT'S THE BEST PROGRAM FOR EDITING GOOD IMAGES?

13. Looking for Windows Programmers