Quake == Killer Bees

Post by Jake Hi » Sat, 23 Sep 1995 04:00:00

It keeps coming and coming, but it never seems to really get here.

What's the latest word on the release date?  Will it be here for
Christmas?

Jake

Quake == Killer Bees

Post by David Stu » Sat, 23 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: It keeps coming and coming, but it never seems to really get here.

: What's the latest word on the release date?  Will it be here for
: Christmas?

: Jake

Maybe they should call it Quake '96...

;->

David

--
David H. Stuve             (503) 715-8304       (phonemail)

Hewlett-Packard                 Seek the light.
IJBU Corvallis

Quake == Killer Bees

Post by Casey Murato » Sun, 24 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>It keeps coming and coming, but it never seems to really get here.
>What's the latest word on the release date?  Will it be here for
>Christmas?

I believe the latest word from ID is that they will try to have it ready
for Christmas, but that they will not release it if they do not feel that
it is ready, so they may delay it for some time after that.  If I
remember correctly, they never predicted that it would be released any
sooner than this Christmas anyway, so what do you mean by "It never seems
to really get here"?

- Casey

Quake == Killer Bees

Post by Matt Pritcha » Mon, 25 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: It keeps coming and coming, but it never seems to really get here.

Hey, Killer Bees (for the Odyssey^2) was a great game!  (And a heck of a
lot easier to find than Power Lords).  The digital sound (using'The
Voice') was very cool.

I guess you are saying Quake will be a great game too...  :-)

--
-Matt P

Matt Pritchard          | Antique Computer & Game System Collector

via Dallas, Tx dialup   | Article Writer/Repressed Game Programmer

Quake == Killer Bees

Post by Jake Hi » Tue, 26 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>: It keeps coming and coming, but it never seems to really get here.
>Hey, Killer Bees (for the Odyssey^2) was a great game!  (And a heck of a
>lot easier to find than Power Lords).  The digital sound (using'The
>Voice') was very cool.
>I guess you are saying Quake will be a great game too...  :-)

Actually I'm referring to the big hype in the mid 70's about South
American Killer bees.  They were supposed to be swarming all over the
US, killing people by the millions "Just Any Day Now".

But they never got here.

Oh well.

Jake

Quake == Killer Bees

Post by Jake Hi » Tue, 26 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Doh,

        Sorry, I didn't see the smiley.

Ooops,
Jake

Quake == Killer Bees

Post by Fastgra » Tue, 26 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Actually I'm referring to the big hype in the mid 70's about
> South American Killer bees.  They were supposed to be
> swarming all over the US, killing people by the millions "Just
> Any Day Now".

Personally, I loved the analogy. I thought it was a gem. :)

I remember when Michael Abrash started working at Id, I
joked around that Id was "quagmired in Quake" and
Michael was going in to rescue them. Michael responded,
unequivically, that Id was NOT quagmired in Quake.

Well, it's been 7 months and we not only haven't seen
Quake, we haven't heard from Michael in a long time
either. It kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Weren't those bees coming from south of the border,
meaning they would make it to Texas first? That could
explain a lot. :)

Diana

Quake == Killer Bees

Post by Douglas McCrea » Tue, 26 Sep 1995 04:00:00

}> Actually I'm referring to the big hype in the mid 70's about
}> South American Killer bees.  They were supposed to be
}> swarming all over the US, killing people by the millions "Just
}> Any Day Now".
}Personally, I loved the analogy. I thought it was a gem. :)
}I remember when Michael Abrash started working at Id, I
}joked around that Id was "quagmired in Quake" and
}Michael was going in to rescue them. Michael responded,
}unequivically, that Id was NOT quagmired in Quake.
}Well, it's been 7 months and we not only haven't seen
}Quake, we haven't heard from Michael in a long time
}either. It kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?
}Weren't those bees coming from south of the border,
}meaning they would make it to Texas first? That could
}explain a lot. :)
}Diana

  Actually, those of us who live toward the southwest of
the US know that about 10 people are killed a year
by killer bees.  You see it on the news about once
a month, more towards the spring/summer when it
is warmer.  Apparently the colder temperatures are
keeping the bees from really making progress this
far north of the equator.

I know this is off-topic, but I too enjoyed the comparison.

--Doug McCreary

--See Gladiator at http://www.ictv.com/users/mike/gladiator.html--

Quake == Killer Bees

Post by Jake Hi » Tue, 26 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>Weren't those bees coming from south of the border,
>meaning they would make it to Texas first? That could
>explain a lot. :)
>Diana

Heh Heh - it sure would.

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Jake

1. Quake 3 is dead, long live... Quake Arena?

Has anyone checked out Carmack's .plan file lately?  It
seems like id is dropping Quake 3 and instead focusing
on a multiplayer-only version of Quake2... from the way
he worded it, it sounded awfully a lot like they were going
to sacrifice special effects and elaborate designs for
pure speed....

Does anyone think this is a good idea?  If we were
interested in pure speed in multiplayer games, we'd
all be still playing Wolf3D with multiplayer options.
We all know how much that would freaking fly on PII
machines!

I'm also skeptical about their plans on abandoning
single-play mode... I'm sorry but sometimes I just happen
to like to play in single-play mode against kick-ass
boss monsters (Cyberdemon anyone?).  Playing
a game without monsters seems just... dead and
sterile to me.  If I wanted to wander around through an
empty building, I'll just wander around in my house, or
fire up a virtual house in Autocad.  Even though their
past games never had much of a plot, I still enjoyed
having to account for all the monsters' different abilities.

Weapons will be reduced so they aren't overly
unbalanced in multi games and while I can
understand this sentiment, it'll be like being
handed a pea shooter after 3 years of kicking ass
with an uzi.  Anyone remember when Quake came
out, people howled, "WHAT?  No BFG???!"
Maybe I'm overestimating the reduction
in weapon power, but we'll see....

Reduced graphics, reduced level complexities,
reduced weapon power, no monsters, no
single play.... what's the point of playing then?
Just to frag people faster?  After fragging a guy
for the 20th time, I get pretty bored and want to
see something new... but alas, there's nothing
more to see.

2. Multiple Serial Ports under OS/2

3. bee swarm effect... help!

4. How to learn Excel VBA

5. More bee swarms

6. Cable TV Competition

7. New Bee ! <-help me

8. winoncd 3.5

9. bee swarm effect... h

10. bee swarm effect... help!

11. Free Killer 3d Game engine.

12. Looking for game programmers for Killer Instinct style game