Curious about cross platform compilers

Post by Marshall Youn » Wed, 23 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I have just begun design on my first turn based strategy game.  I and
two of my friends are using this as an opportunity to learn about O-O
programming and as an excercise in building games.

We want to write the core of the game in C++, but make the interface sit
on top of the engine, totally independant.  That way (hopefully) we'll
easily be able to port the game to Mac and Unix platforms by simply
recompiling the core and (not so simply) writing a new interface.

However, my experience with C++ compilers has been that code that works
for one compiler often does not compile without errors on another.  So,
we'd like to use a single compiler if at all possible.

All we have planned right now is a PC (possibly win95?) version and
maybe a Mac version. Are there (good -- and hopefully cheap) compilers
that will make Intel x86 and PPC code?

If so, does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, I have used RCS on Unix systems for revision control.  Does anyone
know if a similar product exists for Mac/PC team development?

Thanks,

--Marshall

Curious about cross platform compilers

Post by Igor Lae » Sun, 27 Oct 1996 04:00:00

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:55:58 -0500, Marshall Yount

>However, my experience with C++ compilers has been that code that works
>for one compiler often does not compile without errors on another.  So,
>we'd like to use a single compiler if at all possible.

Uff. That's real a topic. I have only experience on the x86 plattform,
and here I use Watcom. Even with my obscure gpp constructs he need
only one or two lines changed..  :->

Quote:>All we have planned right now is a PC (possibly win95?) version and
>maybe a Mac version. Are there (good -- and hopefully cheap) compilers
>that will make Intel x86 and PPC code?

And ? I can't believe such a compiler (execpt gnu gpp). But if you use
C++, where is a problem to use native compiler on each plattform ?

Quote:>Also, I have used RCS on Unix systems for revision control.  Does anyone
>know if a similar product exists for Mac/PC team development?

As I know, there is a dos port of RCS/CVS, which is completely
compatible to the Unix Version. I use it also here. It's on x2ftp.

hope it helpz
Igor

Curious about cross platform compilers

Post by Brandon Van Ever » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> >However, my experience with C++ compilers has been that code that works
> >for one compiler often does not compile without errors on another.  So,
> >we'd like to use a single compiler if at all possible.

Be advised that something like MS VC++ will have different back-ends for
different CPUs.  If only the front-end of the compiler is the same across
CPU's, then you really don't have a basis for assuming that you'll avoid
compiler errors.

Quote:> >Also, I have used RCS on Unix systems for revision control.  Does anyone
> >know if a similar product exists for Mac/PC team development?

We like Microsoft Visual Source Safe very much.

Cheers,
--
Brandon J. Van Every       |  Free3d: old code never dies!  :-)
                           |  Starter code for GNU Copyleft projects.
DEC Graphics & Multimedia  |

1. cross-platform?

Is cross-platform really that important for games development?  Can someone
please give an estimate what is the percentage of U.S. home use PCs on IBM
competible platform, vs. that on Mac platform?

Pls post instead of mail, thanks.

2. MacGet/MacPut - MacTerminal File Transfer

3. Console (Cross Platform N64) Programming

4. making a search query in Lotus Script

5. Cross Platform Design

6. What is cluster ?

7. Quickdraw 3D 1.5 -- cool, cross-platform, fast?

8. How to get Ethernet hardware address?

9. 3D techniques that are cross-platform?

10. Cross-platform user interfaces (was: Why a graphical mud?

11. Cross Platform Games ...

12. Cross Compilers

13. Just Curious