World builder: version 1.5 released

Post by Dave Alle » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I have completed and released a new version of World Builder.  The current
version is 1.5.  It is available on Windows-95, Windows-NT, Linux Intel and
Sun Solaris platforms.  See:

http://www.best.com/~jendave/builder/world/index.html

World Builder is a shareware program to draw maps of worlds.  It uses
continental drift and true meteorological computations to provide
realistic maps including mountain ranges, rain shadows and rivers.

You can use World Builder to invent worlds for roleplaying games or
as background for fiction, or you can use it to learn about earth science
processes.

Major features added in 1.5:

* Added menu choice to create islands and craters, as well as fine
  tune the land square by square.  See the Land->Edit->Splatter menu choice
  in the reference manual.

* Added capability to create a series of snapshots of the spinning
  globe.  While this almost gives you the ability to create the animated
  GIFs shown in the examples, it doesn't quite.  I haven't been able to
  find an automatic way to merge the multiple GIFs into a single animation.
  See the FAQ for more technical details.  You invoke the dialog with the
  File->Export->Globes menu choice.

* After a user survey, added a number of features to improve usability:
  - Improved window management: dialogs now stay in front of main window,
    come to the front when you call them, and remember their positions when
    you close them.
  - Improved handling of most common user error: World Builder cannot be
    started by double-clicking from File Explorer; now you get a dialog
    telling you that instead of a blank grey window.
  - Added help menu choice to display documentation using your browser.
  - Added a legend for all map display types.
  - Temperature and rainfall display now use heat-spectrum colors instead
    of boring old grayscale.
  - Many users did not find the "interpolation" checkbox, which dramatically
    increases the display resolution for climate.  It is now on by default.
  - Added load/save/open hotkeys.
  - Last filename saved or loaded is remembered and used in save dialogs.
  - Created a new icon which looks nicer than previous dark blue globe.

A number of minor features and bug fixes have been added as well.

I welcome enhancement requests and bug reports, and I will continue active
support of World Builder.  However, I am now well into the development of
the next product, Nation Builder, which simulates the development and
spread of nations instead of continents.

1. World builder: version 1.4 released

Hi,

I have completed and released a new version of World Builder.  The current
version is 1.4.  It is available on Windows-95, Windows-NT, Linux Intel and
Sun Solaris platforms.  See:

http://www.best.com/~jendave/builder/world/index.html

World Builder is a shareware program to draw maps of worlds.  It uses
continental drift and true meteorological computations to provide
realistic maps including mountain ranges, rain shadows and rivers.

You can use World Builder to invent worlds for roleplaying games or
as background for fiction, or you can use it to learn about earth science
processes.

Major features added in 1.4:

* Native Windows install.  Although the download file is larger, it now
  contains an Installshield installer.  Just double click on it, follow
  the wizard, and it creates the shortcut and all that good stuff.

* Added Region menu.  A region is a named group of squares on the map with
  some associated parameters.  You can add a region to name a particular
  geographical feature like a mountain range.  You can create a region for
  animal, mineral or vegetable resources, each with their own parameters;
  for example, the program will automatically place a small number of
  gold mining areas on the map.  You can generate custom resources or use
  a "batch" mode to place about fifteen historically important resources.

A number of minor features and bug fixes have been added as well.

I welcome enhancement requests and bug reports, and I will continue active
support of World Builder.  However, I am now well into the development of
the next product, Nation Builder, which simulates the development and
spread of nations instead of continents.

2. 150 Mhz Libretto??

3. Virtual_3D Xmas_Tree Version 1.5

4. Help! Protected Storage Password??

5. World builder: version 1.3 announced

6. Stylus 800 vertical line askew.. ??

7. Microsoft Visual C 1.5 question

8. logout bug, have you seen it?

9. WinG & Visual C++ 1.5

10. **** WANTED: Scorched Earth 1.5 or later ****

11. Announcing: World Builder 1.6

12. Quickdraw 3D 1.5 -- cool, cross-platform, fast?

13. Scorched Earth 1.5 or greater