Intel's 3DR

Post by Bo » Tue, 09 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I just got the 3DR through the post and was wondering if any
one else had used it? I couldn't even get the thing to do anything
after instalation :(

Bob.

Intel's 3DR

Post by ei.. » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I have 3DR also, but to tell you the truth, it's "worth the money you paid
for it".  In only two months of use, I found numerous bugs (one very MAJOR
bug), very poor/innacurate documentation, and pretty slow performance.  If
you have the $500 it costs to get MSDNII, I'd just go with that and use
RealityLab (Direct3D) when it comes out.

Eric

Intel's 3DR

Post by Gregory Slabau » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I use 3DR in my application.  It took some time to get familiar with it,
and yes, the documentation isn't 100%, but it works quite well in my game.
  To be honest, I haven't compared it to Reality Lab, but I did find it
better than RenderWare for our application.  (And the price was
definitely in the budget).

If you're thinking about using a 3D API, I would certainly recommend that
you get as much information you can all the APIs, check out demos, and
even write some of your own code as you try to determine which API best
serves your needs.

Regards,

Greg

Intel's 3DR

Post by TSUJI toshia » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

|> I have 3DR also, but to tell you the truth, it's "worth the money you paid
|> for it".  In only two months of use, I found numerous bugs (one very MAJOR
|> bug), very poor/innacurate documentation, and pretty slow performance.  If
|> you have the $500 it costs to get MSDNII, I'd just go with that and use
|> RealityLab (Direct3D) when it comes out.
|>
|> Eric

Hi.  I am very interested in using 3DR, I would like to know what kind of bugs
(especialy major bug) you found.

Thank you.

Toshiaki Tsuji

Intel's 3DR

Post by Al Yo » Fri, 19 Jan 1996 04:00:00

writes:
: |> I have 3DR also, but to tell you the truth, it's "worth the money you paid
: |> for it".  In only two months of use, I found numerous bugs (one very MAJOR
: |> bug), very poor/innacurate documentation, and pretty slow performance.  If
: |> you have the $500 it costs to get MSDNII, I'd just go with that and use
: |> RealityLab (Direct3D) when it comes out.
: |>
: |> Eric
: |>

: Hi.  I am very interested in using 3DR, I would like to know what kind of bugs
: (especialy major bug) you found.

: Thank you.

: Toshiaki Tsuji

Yeah, me too.  I have the CD and I have run all the 32-bit example apps
and I was quite impressed with the speed (I am running it on a pentium
133 though).  I haven't run into any bugs, but I've done very little
programming with it so far.  I'd be interested in hearing what you've run
into so I can keep my eye out for them.

It'll be a while before I shell out roughly $500 a year for MSDN level II,
especially since I have yet to get the DirectX samples to work from the
GDK book from Sams.  (Not that I wouldn't mind having the MSDN
membership, the budget dosen't seem to agree with me yet :)

|   Alan L. Yost                                               |
|   Computer Consultant    University of Michigan - Flint      |

|   http://raptor.csc.flint.umich.edu/~yost                    |

Intel's 3DR

Post by ei.. » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi.  I am very interested in using 3DR, I would like to know what kind of
>bugs
>(especialy major bug) you found.
>Thank you.
>Toshiaki Tsuji

The major bug (problem) I had was that when using polygons which were clipped
to the viewport frustrum with texturemaps which were "repeated", the texture
mapping would get totally distorted for no apparent reason.  I'm sorry if
this isn't understandable to you Toshiaki, but if you get 3DR and try it out
some, you will understand what I am talking about.  Of course, I filled
out some bug reports, and even corresponded with one of the development team
at IAL, but I never heard back...

I'm on the Reality Lab Beta program now, so I'm a lot happier.

Eric

p.s. Good luck in any case.

1. Intel's 3DR 2.0 Engine...any good?

I'm curious if anyone has done any experimenting with Intel's 3DR engine.
Personally, it looks way too good to be true.  Realtime 3D animation, light
sourcing, transforms, texture mapping, etc etc etc...The list seems to go on
and on...and at the end:
"It's free!  Submit the order form for your free CD-ROM, no licensing fees, no
redistribution restrictions on the runtimes, no fuss no muss." [ed]

My logical mind just rejects the entire notion...So I went to a friend's house
that had Caligari's Truespace 2.0, which uses the 3DR engine for its
quickrenders.  Yes, it was fast, but not game-speed fast.  I'm willing to
accept that Caligari may have many of 3DR's functions set for image quality
vs. speed (not to mention the fact that Caligari has its own overhead to deal
with when you rotate perspectives)...

So anyway...if anyone has any first-hand experience with the engine, I'd
appreciate some comments.  I ordered the CD (why not?) but I'm impatient for
some sort of benchmarks or SOMETHING!!

Robert Simpson
Programmer at Large
BC Software
Phoenix, AZ

BTW:  Intel's 3DR engine homepage is http://www.intel/com/IAL/3dr/index.html

2. Help w/R12DOS Under OS/2!

3. So is anyone actually USING Intel's 3DR?

4. My Documents popup

5. Anyone using Intel's 3DR?

6. RS232 communications with Windows 95 Hyperterminal.

7. Intel's 3DR Graphics Library

8. Searching 3DR Intel graphics lib

9. Intel 3dR distribution...Where to get?

10. Borland v4.02 and Intel 3DR Pre-Release 2.0 (May/95?)

11. 3D Objects for INTEL 3DR

12. Intel drops 3DR