cross-platform?

Post by KL Ch » Tue, 08 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Is cross-platform really that important for games development?  Can someone
please give an estimate what is the percentage of U.S. home use PCs on IBM
competible platform, vs. that on Mac platform?

Pls post instead of mail, thanks.

cross-platform?

Post by andi » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Is cross-platform really that important for games development?  Can someone
> please give an estimate what is the percentage of U.S. home use PCs on IBM
> competible platform, vs. that on Mac platform?

> Pls post instead of mail, thanks.

Err. I think cross-platfrom means just that , not just PC_MAC,
 but PC, MAC, N64, PSX, SATURN, SNES, GENESIS, etc.

Especially for games, an average console title, should do as many sales
on console as PC. as for mac sales, well I'd think them to be a fraction
of PC sales, although if you can convert the code in a fortnight then
even 2,000 sales would still pay.

--
 *---- Andi Smithers ----*
 | "SCAR" Project Leader |

 |                       |
 |      Technology!      |
 |    is not the game    |
 | just the advertisment |
 *-----------------------*

1. Quickdraw 3D 1.5 -- cool, cross-platform, fast?

Greetings,
        I've been playing with Quickdraw 3D lately, and have been very
impressed with it.  It's pretty neat, and now that 180MHz Mac clones
with hardware 3D acceleration on the motherboard go for $1500, it's
starting to hit mainstream.
        I haven't yet tried the Win32 port of the library, yet, though.  In
fact, all I know about it is that it's what SGI is basing their mac and
Win32 versions of CosmoPlayer VRML on.
        Anyone tried making cross-platform 3-D stuff from Apple's Quickdraw 3D,
or even tried using it on the Windows side that could provide some
feedback?
(It can be found at "http://www.quickdraw3d.apple.com/")
        --Sam

2. Home use Microstation

3. 3D techniques that are cross-platform?

4. Old Lotus Commands /rnc, /xg ???

5. Cross-platform user interfaces (was: Why a graphical mud?

6. ANN: Load 2.0 final, open-source utility for testing

7. Console (Cross Platform N64) Programming

8. Memory Optimizer

9. Curious about cross platform compilers

10. Cross Platform Design

11. Cross Platform Games ...

12. WTB: Cross (SNASM2) SNES interface

13. C++ cross compilation to 68000