Quality of midi in games

Post by Gary Presto » Mon, 08 Dec 1997 04:00:00

  Hi,
  I've just bought a mk-161 midi keyboard to help me compose some music
for a game I've finished. My sound card is very old though and sounds
a bit cheesy, if I bought a good sound card so that the instruments
on the card sound realistic and (big suppose here) suppose I
created a great sounding midi.
  How would this sound on other sound cards? Would it sound cheese
unless it was played on one of the latest cards like the one I'd be
buying?
  If so is there a way around this IE Saving the midi I've produced as a
different format that includes theinstruments I've used off my
soundcard, so that when it is played back on another computer it sounds
the same. Sort of like sabing it as a mod?

  Oh and if that is possible, anyone know of a component for delphi that
lets you play mods, or will I have to write my own again. If so
what would be the latest source of information on the mod standard!

 Cheers,
Gary Preston.
--
Gary Preston
http://www.student.comp.brad.ac.uk/~gpreston/index.shtml

Quality of midi in games

Post by Tajh L. Taylo » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Oh and if that is possible, anyone know of a component for delphi that
> lets you play mods, or will I have to write my own again. If so
> what would be the latest source of information on the mod standard!

The MIDAS digital audio system will work with Delphi.  It's free for
non-commercial usage, and I'm sure a reasonable arrangement could be
worked out for a commercial license.

http://www.housemarque.com/midas/index.htm

but since that seems to be down at the moment, try also

http://kalahari.ton.tut.fi/midas/

-Tajh

 *----------------------+----------------------------------*

\  UC Berkeley CS Dept. | http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~tajh  /
 *----------------------+----------------------------------*

Quality of midi in games

Post by Joshua Boy » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>   Hi,
>   I've just bought a mk-161 midi keyboard to help me compose some music
> for a game I've finished. My sound card is very old though and sounds
> a bit cheesy, if I bought a good sound card so that the instruments
> on the card sound realistic and (big suppose here) suppose I
> created a great sounding midi.
>   How would this sound on other sound cards? Would it sound cheese
> unless it was played on one of the latest cards like the one I'd be
> buying?
>   If so is there a way around this IE Saving the midi I've produced as a
> different format that includes theinstruments I've used off my
> soundcard, so that when it is played back on another computer it sounds
> the same. Sort of like sabing it as a mod?

You can't rely on this.  Either check your midis against your old sound
card, to make sure they will sound decent on most cards, or switch to
some other music format, such as mod.  If this is going to be a
comercial game, you could consider including a virtual midi system, but
it probably would be better to write your own.
Quote:>   Oh and if that is possible, anyone know of a component for delphi that
> lets you play mods, or will I have to write my own again. If so
> what would be the latest source of information on the mod standard!

Quality of midi in games

Post by Gary Presto » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>  Hi,
>  I've just bought a mk-161 midi keyboard to help me compose some music
>for a game I've finished. My sound card is very old though and sounds
>a bit cheesy, if I bought a good sound card so that the instruments
>on the card sound realistic and (big suppose here) suppose I
>created a great sounding midi.
>  How would this sound on other sound cards? Would it sound cheese
>unless it was played on one of the latest cards like the one I'd be
>buying?
>  If so is there a way around this IE Saving the midi I've produced as a
>different format that includes theinstruments I've used off my
>soundcard, so that when it is played back on another computer it sounds
>the same. Sort of like sabing it as a mod?

  From the replys so far then, I gather there is no way to convert midi
tracks to other types where theinstruments will be with the format.
ie a mod file ?

Cheers
--

Post by Sean Timarco Baggale » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>>  Hi,
>>  I've just bought a mk-161 midi keyboard to help me compose some music
>>for a game I've finished. My sound card is very old though and sounds
>>a bit cheesy, if I bought a good sound card so that the instruments
>>on the card sound realistic and (big suppose here) suppose I
>>created a great sounding midi.
>>  How would this sound on other sound cards? Would it sound cheese
>>unless it was played on one of the latest cards like the one I'd be
>>buying?
>>  If so is there a way around this IE Saving the midi I've produced as a
>>different format that includes theinstruments I've used off my
>>soundcard, so that when it is played back on another computer it sounds
>>the same. Sort of like sabing it as a mod?

>  From the replys so far then, I gather there is no way to convert midi
>tracks to other types where theinstruments will be with the format.
>ie a mod file ?

Wellll... you could just use one of the software-only MIDI tone modules,
such as Yamaha's impressive XG one.

To be honest, though, you'd be hard-pressed to find many serious gamers
out there who don't already own a decent sound card. Wavetable has been
with us for some years now, and the Ultrasound's 'wow'-factor wore off a
while ago. You can pick up a 32-voice wavetable card for less than the
price of a decent game, so there's no real advantage to be gained in
writing for FM cards.

If you have the money, go for a full Soundblaster AWE 64 Gold (which
comes with 4Mb sample RAM as standard, as well as a rather nice bit of
vector synthesis code.) If you're not quite so well off, go get an older
AWE 32 card. (The AWE 32 cards have about 512K of sample memory, but can
be expanded using ordinary SIMMS.)

Either card will be a major improvement over an FM-based card. The
reason I suggested the 'standard' Soundblasters, though, is because you
can distribute sample banks (.SBK files) which contain samples you've
sourced yourself. This is as close as you'll need to get to the
overrated MOD formats.

MOD files place a heavy load on the CPU, thus reducing the amount of
power available for the game itself. In this age of hardware
acceleration with everything, it makes more sense to use software-only
MIDI systems, but the quality is better through hardware, anyway.

--
Sean Timarco Baggaley

Please _DON'T_ use Reply-To!

For my real Email address, please substitute the Hotmail domain with this one:
'solarflair.demon.co.uk'

E&OE

Quality of midi in games

Post by Jeff Rea » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>   From the replys so far then, I gather there is no way to convert midi
> tracks to other types where theinstruments will be with the format.
> ie a mod file ?

They exist. Go to www.maz-sound.com and hunt around for a MIDI to XM
converter.

Unix / Linux / Windows Hacker,  / Boycott Microsoft!
Anime & Sonic Fan,             / Linux rules!
All Around Nice Guy           / Let's keep the Net and the Land FREE!