Intel's MMX?

Post by partic » Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I hear of this new technology comming up, and I have
quite a few questions about it...

The first question is... Will there be another
version of DJGPP which makes use of all those new
registers/instructions added?

I know that big companies like Microsoft will come out
with newwer versions of compilers, but will a free
compiler like DJGPP do the same?

Oh, And will we all have to get new assemblers to use
those registers? because MM0 and MM1 and all those MM?
will be undefined under TASM v3.1

I think it will be the same delema as the FPU was, support
it or not.

Any thought on Intel's MMX are welcome!

Intel's MMX?

Post by Jon Mart » Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:00:00

     For DJGPP specific questions, head to comp.os.msdos.djgpp.  The creators
and other very knowledgable people hang out there.  From what I know, GNU
(DJGPP is a MS-DOS port of GNU's gcc) will add Pentium, PPro, and MMX
optimizations to gcc.  However, being a non-profit (you can actually send them
tax deductible donations!) volunteer orginization they do not have enough
people to incorporate new features into their software as fast as big
corporations do.  Give them time and they probably will.  This is from what I
know, so if you need more definite answers ask in the DJGPP or GNU
newsgroups.
--
Serve Gonk.

http://elycion.geology.ualberta.ca/~jon/
Department of Computing Science at University of Alberta.

Intel's MMX?

Post by Ben Darne » Sat, 18 Jan 1997 04:00:00

incoherently about Intel's MMX?:

Quote:>The first question is... Will there be another
>version of DJGPP which makes use of all those new
>registers/instructions added?

DJGPP supports the same hardware as normal gcc.  Currently, gcc only
optimizes for the 486 with a pentium optimization patch in testing -
see http://www.goof.com/pcg for more info.  I suppose MMX support
would become a part of that patch too.  Once the patch is stable, it
will probably become part of standard gcc.

     __                         __
 /> /_ /| /   /\  /|  />  /| / /_ /  /
/> /_ / |/   /_/ /-| / \ / |/ /_ /_ /_
http://users.vnet.net/bdarnell

1. Intel's MMX chips

        Has Intel publicly released any programming information on MMX? If
so, where can it be found?

--
|-------------------| The Law of the Computer Industry:
|    Anis  Ahmad    |   - The best products will never have commercial
|-------------------|     success. The commercially successful products
                          will be mediocre and difficult to improve.

2. design question

3. Is AMD K6 cpu fully compatible to Intel MMX II - cpu?

4. Install problems SBS installs and then won't start

5. Intel's 3DR

6. SMTP fall back servers

7. Intel's 3DR 2.0 Engine...any good?

8. bouncing messages to /dev/null

9. Intel's NSP? Huh?

10. So is anyone actually USING Intel's 3DR?

11. Anyone using Intel's 3DR?

12. Intel's 3DR Graphics Library

13. Does anyone use Intel's VTune?