Retrace and active page questions

Post by John A. Roberts » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 00:24:11

Howdy.  I'm going to display my obvious lack of experience and
ask a couple of dumb questions.
first: is there any way to stop the monitor from retracing for a split
second?  I imagine the answer is no.  it would probably make the display
go nuts.  if not, can i somehow "turn off" the active screen so i can
draw directly to it without the display going black?  this is probably
an even dumber question.
second, or i guess third: can i simply switch which page the video
"draws" to the monitor from, so i wouldn't waste time flipping all of
the pixels to the active page.  i seem to recall seeing a function called
"set_active_page" or something similar but i can't even remember which
language it was for.  I have turbo pascal and c++.
thanks.

Post by Kin Ho Tu » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 05:37:18

: Howdy.  I'm going to display my obvious lack of experience and
: ask a couple of dumb questions.
: first: is there any way to stop the monitor from retracing for a split
: second?  I imagine the answer is no.  it would probably make the display
: go nuts.  if not, can i somehow "turn off" the active screen so i can
: draw directly to it without the display going black?  this is probably
: an even dumber question.
: second, or i guess third: can i simply switch which page the video
: "draws" to the monitor from, so i wouldn't waste time flipping all of
: the pixels to the active page.  i seem to recall seeing a function called
: "set_active_page" or something similar but i can't even remember which
: language it was for.  I have turbo pascal and c++.
: thanks.

Obviously you're trying to do some kind of animation and the video card is not
fast enough to feed all the data though.  Anyway, try out this library routines
call xlib, you can get it from teeri.oulu.fi and find a file call xlib61.zip
It contains pre-written routins for page-flipping, writing to active or non-
active pages and a bunch of graphics premetives.  It's a very useful library
to have.

--
/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\
|Kin Ho Tung, College of Enginnering          |I Think, Therefore I am|

|Amateur radio callsign:  WH6JA               | -The Mysterious One   |
\_____________________________________________________________________/

1. Commercially Active Programmers/None Active Programmers

I have... but of course, progress is slow, as I've had to move my page -
without leaving a trace of it where it was before....

It's always back to square one.... - ANYWAYS, my games... I made a 3D
shooter & a win95 puzzle game - neither are all that professional.

Jim the loiterer
http://members.xoom.com/JimMcCue/index.htm
[AOL hates me as much as I hate them - and it's hard to type on prodigy]

2. Experience DEC's RAID Array 410 on SPARCservers?

3. Vertical Retrace Question

4. Working with obliqued PostScript fonts

5. Vertical Retrace question

6. msconfig utility in Windows 2000?

7. Page Flipping Animation Question....

8. Win 95 Support for applications requiring old MSDOS Microsoft TCPIP drivers installed...

9. six active joysticks

10. Six Active Joysticks

11. GameSDK page flipping frame rate question

12. Is "www.gamers.org" no longer active?

13. How to create Active Movie Player using ActiveX Control under VC++ 5.0