MVME147 Boot PROM

Post by Deep » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 15:04:31

Hello

I have an old MVME147 SBC running with a bootable floppy disk.
The disks keep going bad and I was wondering if its possible to
create a boot EEPROM and install it on the system.

Can someone send me detailed instructions on how to do it.

thanks !

- Deepak

MVME147 Boot PROM

Post by Paul McKneel » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:39:17

Hi Deepak,

Quote:> I have an old MVME147 SBC running with a bootable floppy disk.
> The disks keep going bad and I was wondering if its possible to
> create a boot EEPROM and install it on the system.

> Can someone send me detailed instructions on how to do it.

Hardware-wise it is easy because it uses standard 32-pin EEPROMs.
I have written one of these myself for the MVME147.  This is
easier to do on the MVME147 than either the MVME167 or MVME177
because the DRAM controller needs no initialization.  You can
just clear and start using the DRAM straight off.  But the
details will be in the '147 and your mass storage controller so
you will have to get into the programmer's manuals on it.

For $35 I can supply you with a "serial boot ROM" that you can
use to develop your boot routine without having to erase and burn
an EPROM on every iteration.  You will save some wear-and-tare
on your socket.  With this I can provide a DOS or Win32-based boot
loader that works with the EPROM using the console port.  You can
also do this using DEBUG but it runs slower.

If you ever want to do a similar thing with the MVME167 or MVME177,
you will find it difficult to obtain the EPROM parts.  The PLCC44
sockets do not accept flash parts.  To address this problem, I can
provide adaptors that allow you to boot off of standard 32-pin PLCC
flash devices.  You would need two of these adaptors to provide a
full 32-bit data path.

Paul

1. MVME147 Debug PROMS needed

Wonder if anyone can help me....

I'm working on a project to port Linux onto a Motorola MVME147 SBC - I have
kindly been donated the board, but minus the 147Bug PROMS - if anyone could
help me out with a set of PROMS, or binaries for me to burn my own, I would
be much obliged.

Many Thanks,

John.

2. Help sending fax overseas with USR fax/modem

3. m68k TFTP boot prom code needed

4. Panasonic Digital Phone System Wanted

5. MVME147 Debug Proms needed

6. about VPN

7. Prom Emulator on 68k

8. dos-filtering