Real Life Project for HC11EVB

Post by Norman Terr » Wed, 23 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Can anyone come up with a real life project for someone (me) who would like
to learn the HC11 using the EVB?

It shouldn't be simple but require some thought and effort.  However,
nothing so complicated that there is no reasonable expectation of success.

Maybe someone could suggest something they've done in the past.  After
completing it I would be willing to share my notes on my solution.

Norm

Post by John Rodger » Fri, 25 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Can anyone come up with a real life project for someone (me) who would like
> to learn the HC11 using the EVB?

> It shouldn't be simple but require some thought and effort.  However,
> nothing so complicated that there is no reasonable expectation of success.

> Maybe someone could suggest something they've done in the past.  After
> completing it I would be willing to share my notes on my solution.

> Norm

We used the HC11 to count the number of times 6 photoeyes were tripped
and then allowed a PC to poll it for these counts.  We have the
photoeyes mounted over a conveyor and count product as it goes by.

Have fun!

John Rodgers

Post by Virgil O. Stam » Sun, 27 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>> Can anyone come up with a real life project for someone (me) who would like
>> to learn the HC11 using the EVB?

>> It shouldn't be simple but require some thought and effort.  However,
>> nothing so complicated that there is no reasonable expectation of success.

>> Maybe someone could suggest something they've done in the past.  After
>> completing it I would be willing to share my notes on my solution.

>> Norm

>We used the HC11 to count the number of times 6 photoeyes were tripped
>and then allowed a PC to poll it for these counts.  We have the
>photoeyes mounted over a conveyor and count product as it goes by.
>Have fun!
>John Rodgers

TI makes a very inexpensive Light-to-frequency chip (about $2 in low
volume) which interfaces nicely to the pulse accumulator on the HC11.
You could make all kinds of products with this combination.  For
example, in dish washers, they look at the clarity of the water to
determine if all the soap has been rinsed away.  I recently did a
project for a company that measures H2S in PPM concentration.  The
reflected laser diode light from lead-acetate tape which turns from
white to brown when exposed to H2S.  I hope these ideas gets your
creative juices flowing.  Good luck!

Virgil Stamps
SACO Electronic Products.

Real Life Project for HC11EVB

Post by gra.. » Sun, 27 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: >
: > Can anyone come up with a real life project for someone (me) who would like
: > to learn the HC11 using the EVB?
: >
: > It shouldn't be simple but require some thought and effort.  However,
: > nothing so complicated that there is no reasonable expectation of success.
: >
: > Maybe someone could suggest something they've done in the past.  After
: > completing it I would be willing to share my notes on my solution.
: >
: > Norm

Why not make a Caller ID display?

GB

1. Using 683XX parts for long life project.

The 683XX family is wonderful, but I wonder how many other people
have palpetations like my customer does about designing in parts
which are single sourced? Using such a chip really gets the parts
count down but one will look pretty silly if the specific device
selected ceases to be available in a couple of years.
I gather that Mote have no current intention of providing second
source arrangements which at least offers some comfort if they
ever 'got bored' with the parts.

I also wonder if at some time in the future Motorola may drop
their 68k derived family in favor of a Power-PC based embedded
controller set.

Which family member is most likely to 'make it' long term? We
have bet on the 331 because it isn't too highly integrated (and
hence specialized, and hence low volume) but we've failed to get
statements on the subject from our Mote agent.
I however have begun to wonder if the 340 isn't a better long
term chip since it is available in 3V which is surely the future
standard.

I would LOVE to here about projects that were committed to serious
numbers of devices over a (say) 5-8 year period.
--
Loris Caren                  |Only the wise know when they haven't anything
Hampshire, England           |to say.

2. some references on intro. books/papers on genetic algorithms

3. 68EC000 life

4. REQ: cdmke.sys

5. HC129B32 Flash Life

6. Fonts

7. Life after the 68060 ?

8. Scanning a "keychain" slide

9. 68332 Proto Project Bugs

10. A new project to merge the existing GCC forks

11. The project begins.

12. Project Manager, Software Tools, Boston, MA