Looking for one 68000 Old Unix system in Europe

Looking for one 68000 Old Unix system in Europe

Post by Sergio Pedra » Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:13:07



Hello. I am searching old 68000 Old Unix systems availables in Europe.
Preferred with this characteristics (order of importance):

* Operative
* With Software
* With Manuals
* With peripherals and supplies for it.

I pay shipment and packing. I prefer a system for free,
but I can discuss some price if needed. I search this
system fifty/fifty for hobby and for one project I need
to develop. In fact, I prefer TWO SYSTEMS better than
ONE. Another reason is simply to save them from the dumpster.

I advice too that the shipment arrangement shall take me
some time.

I'm open to get other medium/vintage systems of this kind.
Finally, I live in Spain. You can contact with me by the email
above.

Thanks and Best Regards

Sergio
Post a follow-up

 
 
 

Looking for one 68000 Old Unix system in Europe

Post by Bill Jansse » Sun, 01 Dec 2002 07:39:24



> Hello. I am searching old 68000 Old Unix systems availables in Europe.
> Preferred with this characteristics (order of importance):

> * Operative
> * With Software
> * With Manuals
> * With peripherals and supplies for it.

> I pay shipment and packing. I prefer a system for free,
> but I can discuss some price if needed. I search this
> system fifty/fifty for hobby and for one project I need
> to develop. In fact, I prefer TWO SYSTEMS better than
> ONE. Another reason is simply to save them from the dumpster.

> I advice too that the shipment arrangement shall take me
> some time.

> I'm open to get other medium/vintage systems of this kind.
> Finally, I live in Spain. You can contact with me by the email
> above.

> Thanks and Best Regards

> Sergio
> Post a follow-up

If a 68020 or 68030 etc. would be OK then I would look for aSun sparc 1 or
sparc 2. If you want a 68000 then Sun made some
machines with that processor.

Software and Information is available for those old machines. Info.
can be downloaded from various sites.

Bill K7NOM

 
 
 

Looking for one 68000 Old Unix system in Europe

Post by Laurent Voge » Tue, 03 Dec 2002 00:46:13



> > Hello. I am searching old 68000 Old Unix systems availables in Europe.
> > Preferred with this characteristics (order of importance):

> > * Operative
> > * With Software
> > * With Manuals
> > * With peripherals and supplies for it.

Minix 1.5, a small Unix educational clone, was ported to 68000
machines. I still run occasionnally both the Atari ST and the
macintosh version, and I think there was also an amiga version.
Minix also runs on at least one atari ST emulator. Ask me if you
want more pointers.

Laurent

 
 
 

Looking for one 68000 Old Unix system in Europe

Post by Michael Schwing » Tue, 03 Dec 2002 23:32:02



Quote:

>If a 68020 or 68030 etc. would be OK then I would look for aSun sparc 1 or
>sparc 2. If you want a 68000 then Sun made some
>machines with that processor.

Huh? sparc1 and sparc2 have a sparc CPU, no MC68k-series!

The Sun3-series used 68K cpus, 68020 (with SUN-special external MMU) and
obove.

cu
Michael
--
there is nothing interesting at
http://heisenberg.ccac.rwth-aachen.de/my_addresses/contacts.sss/info

 
 
 

Looking for one 68000 Old Unix system in Europe

Post by Bill Jansse » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 01:43:16




> >If a 68020 or 68030 etc. would be OK then I would look for aSun sparc 1 or
> >sparc 2. If you want a 68000 then Sun made some
> >machines with that processor.

> Huh? sparc1 and sparc2 have a sparc CPU, no MC68k-series!

Don't know why I typed that as I know the sparc uses sparc processors.
The older Sun machines would be my choice as I know that info is available.

Bill K7NOM

Quote:

> The Sun3-series used 68K cpus, 68020 (with SUN-special external MMU) and
> obove.

> cu
> Michael
> --
> there is nothing interesting at
> http://heisenberg.ccac.rwth-aachen.de/my_addresses/contacts.sss/info

 
 
 

1. Old 68000 system from CYB Systems--need info

Greetings....

  I recently picked up a 68000-based computer at an auction, and am in
need of a little information on it. The only included docs were the set
of Unix manuals. It appears to be vintage 1983 or 1984.

  It's a CYB Systems model MBb, uses a MultiBus backplane, has one
floppy drive, one Ampex PIXYS27 hard drive, and a nice power supply.  :-)
The CPU board has 256KB of ram, was made by CYB, and has two sets of
EPROMs on it--one from CYB and one from Mitsubishi. On power-up, the
system gives the message:

    Sun Network Monitor, Version 0.10 - 0x40000 bytes of memory

and a ">" prompt. (Yes, there's also a 4MW ram board.) A friend has
speculated that it "may be a Sun-2 in a funny box", which is why I've
crossposted to comp.sys.sun.misc.

  What I don't know is how to get the thing to boot off the hard
drive..... I suspect that's what the Mitsubishi EPROMs will do, but
I'm unable to locate them after a few hours of poking around in the
memory space (it's been a *long* time since I've used a machine that
had a monitor; trying to figure that out as well).

  If anyone has any ideas or can direct me to some info about the
box, I'd appreciate it; I'd like to have a 68K system to play with. I
do plan to try and write a little program I can stuff in via the monitor
that will check every 4KW looking for a jump instruction and try to
locate it that way; however, it's been years since I've done any
assembly work...should be fun re-learning, though.

  Email would probably be best, unless someone wants to start a thread
about antique hardware.

--


"It was the schoolboy who said, `Faith is believing what you know ain't so'."
          --Mark Twain

2. dsp board for the pc

3. One Man Unix -- for 6809 and 68000

4. tlbia in ppc8260

5. ***Looking foe OLD Unix, Please!

6. Special post Call comp.parallel (27/28) FAQ

7. Where to look for >Embedded Engineers< in Europe

8. Graphs and USB printers

9. What 68000 systems run unix?

10. System V/68 - UNIX System V Release 4?

11. Need UNIX For Old MOT VME Box

12. Enclosed: One new opcode for your 68020 system!

13. Old mac 68000