CPU upgrade 68030 to 040/060

Post by Max Ma » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:34:20

Hi,

I own an old dedicated chess computer, which uses a 68030 cpu running at 50
mhz. My goal is to improve its speed. Is it possible just to replace the cpu
by a 68040 or 68060? Are there adapters needed/available? Which cpu would
fit best (the computer/software uses no fpu)? And last, any idea where to
get this (in germany)? Every help is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Max

CPU upgrade 68030 to 040/060

Post by MUD » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:28:43

> Hi,

> I own an old dedicated chess computer, which uses a 68030 cpu running at
> 50 mhz. My goal is to improve its speed. Is it possible just to replace
> the cpu by a 68040 or 68060? Are there adapters needed/available? Which
> cpu would fit best (the computer/software uses no fpu)? And last, any
> idea where to get this (in germany)? Every help is welcome.

> Thanks in advance,
> Max

there is a big difference in the 030 and the 040 and 060 chips.  The
maximum rated 030 is 50Mhz which is what you are running at so I'd have to
say you aren't going to go any faster.  There are some accelerators for
the amiga and mac that plug into the cpu socket but I don't know that they
would be compatible with your machine.

coldfire

CPU upgrade 68030 to 040/060

Post by Michael Kraem » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:56:46

> > Hi,

> > I own an old dedicated chess computer, which uses a 68030 cpu running at
> > 50 mhz. My goal is to improve its speed. Is it possible just to replace
> > the cpu by a 68040 or 68060? Are there adapters needed/available? Which
> > cpu would fit best (the computer/software uses no fpu)? And last, any
> > idea where to get this (in germany)? Every help is welcome.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Max

> there is a big difference in the 030 and the 040 and 060 chips.  The
> maximum rated 030 is 50Mhz which is what you are running at so I'd have to
> say you aren't going to go any faster.  There are some accelerators for
> the amiga and mac that plug into the cpu socket but I don't know that they
> would be compatible with your machine.

> coldfire

Amiga turbo boards won't help at this point. They are tailored
for the respective Amiga model, have a lot of glue electronics around the CPU
and usually do not plug into the original CPU socket but into some special
expansion socket/port.
Additionally, for the 040/060 chips you might need extra software
to catch the instructions not available / differently behaving on
040/060 vs 030.

CPU upgrade 68030 to 040/060

Post by Marco van de Voor » Sun, 27 Jul 2003 00:48:52

>> coldfire

> Amiga turbo boards won't help at this point. They are tailored
> for the respective Amiga model, have a lot of glue electronics around the CPU
> and usually do not plug into the original CPU socket but into some special
> expansion socket/port.
> Additionally, for the 040/060 chips you might need extra software
> to catch the instructions not available / differently behaving on
> 040/060 vs 030.

For Mac this is possible at least for a 68040 in most major 030 systems.
You can go up to 68040/45 (Sonnet), and I believe a rarer card even goes
to 68040 /50. 68060 is not possible afaik.

These are all special accelerators for (afaik mainly newer) Mac II based
systems, and (and this is the bad point), often they need OS support,
specially if it is not merely a faster version of the same processor. (so
like a 040 in a 030), and to enable the (added) L2 cache which is usually
also on that accelerator board, since the avg II comes without.

MacOS drivers are usually provided, but if you run some free unix on your
ancient Mac it is hard. (though some are supported by NetBSD, specially
Daystar ones)

CPU upgrade 68030 to 040/060

Post by Max Ma » Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:47:16

Hi,

thanks a lot for your help (also by email).

One of the biggest issue seems to be, that the ram is only one 512 k x 8bit
chip. AFAIK now, the 040/060 cpus are only able to handle 32 bit access to
the databus.

Best regards,
Max

CPU upgrade 68030 to 040/060

Post by MUD » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 04:35:26

> Hi,

> thanks a lot for your help (also by email).

> One of the biggest issue seems to be, that the ram is only one 512 k x 8bit
> chip. AFAIK now, the 040/060 cpus are only able to handle 32 bit access to
> the databus.

I guess the best bet then is to try overclocking the cpu.  I've seen a
50mhz rated 030 run at 66mhz(we added a fan to it) and it worked reliably
for several years.

coldfire

1. 68030, 040, 060 Benchmark Info?

        I'm looking for published dhrystone benchmarks for the 68030, 040,
and 060 processors. I also need performance comparisons for these processors
with the caches enabled and disabled.

        If you can suggest an appropriate reference, please contact me.

Thank you,
Lonnie.

--
Lonnie VanZandt 303 538-4640

2. Transfering user accounts to NT

3. Wich CPU,CPU32+,040 or 060?

4. server hangs userenv returns event id 1000

5. 040 and 060 compatibility

6. Tick Marks

7. 040 vs 060

8. The transport failed to connect to the server.

9. Software detection of 040 and 060?

10. Availability of 040/060 "supersocket"?

11. 060 and 040 top speeds?

12. designing a board to use either '040 or '060

13. '040 to '060 on a Mac?