VNC Server on Mac68k

Post by da.. » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:56:15

I've a Quadra 800 running a VNC server, and it is slower than anything else I've got VNC running on.

Of course, this system is using a large desktop (1280x1024?) and lots of colors - but that didn't seem to make all that much difference.

Using VNC servers under Windows and Linux are faster - but the hardware are Pentium 75s and Pentium 100s...

Any ideas how to make the VNC server on the Quadra more responsive?

VNC Server on Mac68k

Post by MUD » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:23:22

> I've a Quadra 800 running a VNC server, and it is slower than anything
> else I've got VNC running on.

> Of course, this system is using a large desktop (1280x1024?) and lots of
>colors - but that didn't seem to make all that much difference.
> Using VNC servers under Windows and Linux are faster - but the hardware
> are Pentium 75s and Pentium 100s...

> Any ideas how to make the VNC server on the Quadra more responsive?

running 1280x1024 with lots of colors on that system has to eat a huge
amount of it's resources.  You should try a much lower resolution.

coldfire

VNC Server on Mac68k

Post by Marco van de Voor » Sun, 27 Jul 2003 00:50:15

>> Any ideas how to make the VNC server on the Quadra more responsive?

> running 1280x1024 with lots of colors on that system has to eat a huge
> amount of it's resources.  You should try a much lower resolution.

Yes. It could be memory or simply bus bandwidth (to the network card).

VNC Server on Mac68k

Post by Marco van de Voor » Sun, 27 Jul 2003 00:52:58

>>> Any ideas how to make the VNC server on the Quadra more responsive?

>> running 1280x1024 with lots of colors on that system has to eat a huge
>> amount of it's resources.  You should try a much lower resolution.

> Yes. It could be memory or simply bus bandwidth (to the network card).

Another thing could be changing OS (I don't know what you have now on it),
Linux instead of NetBSD or vice versa.

I run NetBSD on the m68k, but I was only told that NetBSD was faster on
the m68k platform, so you could try to compare NetBSD and Linux.

1. mgse archive server - Motorola files

Last Changed:   Sat Mar 31 14:35:55 CST 1990

This is a periodic posting of information about the mgse archive server
and the available files for Motorola Microprocessors.

The Motorola files used to be in the subdirectory other/m68k, it has
now been changed to other/motorola to reflect the archives support of
the Motorola 8-bit and DSP CPUs.

The mgse motorola archives consists of files from the Motorola Freeware BBS,
ROM monitor programs, and other programs found on the net or with FTP. The
files are located in the directory other/motorola. The file "index" lists
the file names, and the descriptions of what the files. The "list" file is
a Unix style ls -lR file of the files available. By sending the message

receive the help file, and the index and list files.

- cut here -----------------------------------------------------------------
help
send other/motorola/list
send other/motorola/index
- cut here -----------------------------------------------------------------

There files are also available for anonymous uucp at 504-467-1069,
2400 baud, login 'archive' in /archive/other/motorola. Callers at
300 or 1200 baud will have to send a break.

If you have any problems or questions, please send them to

On 7 March, a system crash wiped out most of the Motorola archives,
thru a strange set of circumstances the lost files were not backed up
on tape. I have since been able to recover all of the lost files. If
you requested files, and received a message saying the file was not
found, or it had disappeared, try sending your request again. Sorry
for the inconvenience.

2. 802.11x add-on? (a bit off-topic i guess)

3. Looking for X11 server for Integrated Solutions machines

4. User Controls - desing-time properties

5. netvision news server

6. coverting m-files into executables

7. mgse archive server - Motorola files

8. BAD BOY SECURITY? you won't get an apology either

9. PSOSUSER discussion mailing list server

10. NCR server help needed

11. MAC OS 7.6 talking to Windows/NT Server

12. mgse archive server - Motorola files

13. FS: Motorola Computer - Terminal servers & drives