Debian 2.2 on a Mac SE/30. Help please!

Post by Nikk » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 23:47:13

Hi Guys

I'm trying to install Debian 2.2 (potato) on a Mac SE/30.  As far as I
can see I've prepared everything as instructed: partitioned the disk
and am working off the MacOS partition (7.5.3), but I can't get the
installer to boot properly.  It starts ... but all I get is the
following (with the Penguin in reverse video)

MacLinux

vidaddr: FEE08040
_stext: 00001000
bootinfo: 00162000
cpuid: 00000000
00000001  01560200  00000040  00000001

ABCFGHIJ

The kernel doesn't even get to panic!  Has anyone else had this
problem?  Do I need to enter some sort of bootpromt in Penguin's
command line?

Hopefully someone can help me out...

Nikki

BTW I crossposted this to comp.os.linux.m68k

Debian 2.2 on a Mac SE/30. Help please!

Post by Marcelo Samsoni » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 03:16:41

try netbsd! :)

i tested many unixes in my centris 650 (with a fpu-less
68LC040 processor) and had success only with netbsd.

Post by Nikk » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 00:11:11

> try netbsd! :)

> i tested many unixes in my centris 650 (with a fpu-less
> 68LC040 processor) and had success only with netbsd.

Yep, I tried NetBSD but couldn't get past the ramdisk and a
kernel-panic.  Maybe I just didn't have the experience at that time to
get the bootprompts right?

Anyways, I've got Debian 2.1 (Slink) running fine on the old Mac now,
except for it* at reboot/shutdown.  Also an annoying thing: a
line three pixels deep of the Mac 'grey' screen remains visible below
the midnight black of the terminal screen.  But to be annoyed at such a
trivial level is a pleasure!

Happy booting

Nikki

Debian 2.2 on a Mac SE/30. Help please!

Post by Marcelo Samsoni » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 06:08:40

i never tested with a ramdisk with netbsd, i split my disk
in two partitions and install netbsd from a macos based installer.

with a big ramdisk the main problem can be just low memory ;)

> > try netbsd! :)

> > i tested many unixes in my centris 650 (with a fpu-less
> > 68LC040 processor) and had success only with netbsd.

> Yep, I tried NetBSD but couldn't get past the ramdisk and a
> kernel-panic.  Maybe I just didn't have the experience at that time to
> get the bootprompts right?

> Anyways, I've got Debian 2.1 (Slink) running fine on the old Mac now,
> except for it* at reboot/shutdown.  Also an annoying thing: a
> line three pixels deep of the Mac 'grey' screen remains visible below
> the midnight black of the terminal screen.  But to be annoyed at such a
> trivial level is a pleasure!

> Happy booting

> Nikki

1. BUG bsd installer for mac causing a bus crash on se/30

Greetings,

I hope this is the right group to be posting too.  If not, could someone
tell me about specific groups to handle newbie questions and bug reports for
m68k?  A listserv perhaps?

I have just come across bsd for the mac and am quite impressed by what I
have read concerning its power ;)  So, I decided to grab it off an ftp site
(netbsd.rmit.edu.au).  I downloaded everything as *.hqx and translated it
with stuffit expander.  No problems there.  One interesting point, I notice
the documentation calls these files gzipped, but when I expanded the *.hqx
files they had no *.gz extension.  And they are type document in the mac
view name option.

Should these files be binary or ascii?  Did I do something wrong?

I read the documentation called INSTALL.  I ran the BSD-1.0 installer and it
started its initialization.  Assigning scsi went fine. Than I got a bus
error and my system bombed :(  It bombed right after asking for a scsi id to
initialize and I selected scsi 0 (internal drive) and selected format.  The
error is reproducible on both my external and internal drives.

Any ideas what the problem is???

Some info about my system:
I have a mac se/30 with 8mb physical ram and an expansion card for an
external monitor.  I have ramdoubler running, but the crash occurred even
with ramdoubler removed.  I have 2 hard drives and a floptical drive.  The
scsi ids are scsi 0 for 170 meg internal, scsi 3 for 1 gig external drive,
and scsi 5 for floptical drive.

The external drive is my usual boot drive and is the last device on my scsi
chain.  It is properly terminated.  The floptical drive is usually turned
off.  I also have a system folder on my internal drive.

Any idea why I would get a bus error?  I seem to get this error alot when I
using my PPP software and internet programs.

Comments, help, and general places to look for solutions would be
appreciated :)

Cheers -Jon

2. Excellent case for Casion E-15

3. SE/30 Video

4. VIM vs NVI

5. Video Problem with SE/30 - Any answers?

6. Debugging without a Network Connection

7. Any way to run IIE software on a SE/30?

8. Mathcad graph and pdftex

9. SE/30 video squashed

10. Pointer needed for gcc-2.2.2- cross library generationgk~[;z+

11. Just Aquired a Force 68000 board with FORCEMON 2.2 on

12. Adding Memory to Mac SE with accelerator

13. Any opinions on the Consulair '030 assembler for Mac