MC68322 Scheduler and Message Queue

Post by RDT-MikeFriedrich » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:28:12

Hello,

I am starting a new project using the MC68332, it appears to be a device
that will be around for some time. This is my*time to write a RTOS
using a scheduler and message queuing; seems to match the requirements best
for this application, previously I used the round robbin scheme. I
understand the basis of message queuing and scheduling, but would like
reference to a document that best addresses message queuing and scheduling.

Anybody have any suggestions for a good reference about scheduling and
message queuing.

One solution is to buy a RTOS, but it has already decided to build our own
RTOS.

Thanks,
MikeF

http://www.veryComputer.com/ - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

MC68322 Scheduler and Message Queue

Post by Gene S. Berkowit » Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:48:47

says...

Quote:> Hello,

> I am starting a new project using the MC68332, it appears to be a device
> that will be around for some time. This is my*time to write a RTOS
> using a scheduler and message queuing; seems to match the requirements best
> for this application, previously I used the round robbin scheme. I
> understand the basis of message queuing and scheduling, but would like
> reference to a document that best addresses message queuing and scheduling.

> Anybody have any suggestions for a good reference about scheduling and
> message queuing.

> One solution is to buy a RTOS, but it has already decided to build our own
> RTOS.

> Thanks,
> MikeF

While the part may be around for a good while longer, it is at the end
of development.  No faster parts, no lower voltages.

You might want to take a look at the ColdFire instead.

As to writing an RTOS, do you really want to do this when you could
instead use the time to write a better application.
There are several open-source RTOS's available for 68332 (or ColdFire).

--Gene

MC68322 Scheduler and Message Queue

Post by RDT-MikeFriedrich » Thu, 21 Aug 2003 23:19:39

Quote:> While the part may be around for a good while longer, it is at the end
> of development.  No faster parts, no lower voltages.
> You might want to take a look at the ColdFire instead.

We have hardware that has been designed with the 68332 as the core, so
further 68332 development is required.

Quote:> As to writing an RTOS, do you really want to do this when you could
> instead use the time to write a better application.
> There are several open-source RTOS's available for 68332 (or ColdFire).

Your suggestion is accurate. Could you also suggest some open source RTOS's
for the 68332.

Thanks,
MikeF

-----==  Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

MC68322 Scheduler and Message Queue

Post by Gene S. Berkowit » Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:58:18

says...

> > While the part may be around for a good while longer, it is at the end
> > of development.  No faster parts, no lower voltages.

> > You might want to take a look at the ColdFire instead.

> We have hardware that has been designed with the 68332 as the core, so
> further 68332 development is required.

> > As to writing an RTOS, do you really want to do this when you could
> > instead use the time to write a better application.
> > There are several open-source RTOS's available for 68332 (or ColdFire).

> Your suggestion is accurate. Could you also suggest some open source RTOS's
> for the 68332.

1. eCos
2. uC/OS-II (I think this requires a license for commercial use)
3. RTEMS

--Gene

1. 680x0 Instruction Scheduler?

Can anyone point me to a public-domain or shareware instruction scheduler
for the Motorola 680x0 architecture (specifically 68020)?

Thanks,

        .Bob.
--

TeleSoft                     uucp     : ...!ucsd.ucsd.edu!telesoft!rlk
5959 Cornerstone Court West, San Diego, CA  92121-9891  (619) 457-2700 x163

                                -- Robertson Davies, "The Rebel Angels"

2. "reference", is the mechanism of its implementation important?

3. How to connect a Mac to a UNIX printer queue

4. Max. file size on @Home

5. HELP - FIFO queue assembler code (REVISED!!)

6. PcJr

7. any have tpupn01/d or familiar with queued output mode of the tpu?

8. Easy CD-Pro 3.0 bug.

9. HELP - FIFO queue assembler code

10. Help me, who read the message "no coprocessor found"

11. message test

12. mvme162p-334 exception: parity error external message

13. 68360 UART with variable length messages