AS400 5250 emulation

Post by gbru » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:52:47

What does everyone use for emulation?  I am confused with all the
different IBM products: Client Access, Host on Demand, iSeries access
for Web, PC Communication.  We have been using Client Access on our
LAN, but are now looking at using a more simple or web based product
for clients outside our LAN. Could someone explain the differences
between some of these products.  I find IBM unbelievably unlear and
severly lacking in good documentation.

AS400 5250 emulation

Post by Dr. Ugo Gagliardell » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 02:42:09

> What does everyone use for emulation?  I am confused with all the
> different IBM products:

Client Access,
Has a subset of Personal Communications that allow tn5250 only, with secure (SSL) as needed. Is based on as400 host servers.
A license for each concurrent user is required only for some functions such as 5250 and file-transfer.

Host on Demand
Is a mean to distribute applications on the web, 5250 applet is a ready made one, strong secuity. Needs its own server application. Each user requires a license.

iSeries access for Web
Included in Client access starting from V5R1 has almost the same user functions of CA, includind 5250 emulation that's a very good one, from some perspective (e.g. macro register/play) is better than PCom tn5250.
It's based on Websphere application server this implies:
- no needs to install anything on the workstation (but the browser, e.g. MS ie)., and uses the same host server as CA, so any security deployed for CA keeps on going.
- J2EE based technology, iSeries access for Web is supplied by an EAR file as any other J2EE application. Integrating it's web services is often only matter to put an URL some else where.
My opinion is that requires an extesive configuration to limit/customize user funtions, even if is ready to use with full feature users, on the other hand all users customizations are stored in a single XML file that can be edited by the web or on the server side too.
Printing emulation is not available, but the user can download spooled files, browsing output queues or owned spooled files cross queue, in different formats (pdf format too). Not sure but I think that PDFing through iSeries access for Web could not require the Infoprint Server License (nor product-key as well).
File transfer is available via a wonderfull SQL-Wizard, requested files can be viewed, downloaded or stored in an as400 folder (in differnt formats) by the user.
IFS is available in a fashion ftp-site-like for upload and download.
Requires a CA license for each concurrent user, any function he/she will use.
Performance are very good, you'll notice a little delay at login time only. Obviously performances need a minimum of power on the server, I'm using a 270-2432 (partitioned 30/80) fully satisfied.
Starting from V5R2 5250 activity via iSeries access for Web do not require interactive feature.
A very good work, amazing. I personally suggest this one.

PC Communication.
Its a product that gives basically SNA/TCPIP 5250 and 3270 emulation + a communication layer with its own connection  configuration. Each user requires a license

Hope this helps.
--
Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherA?ejoAlcoolInside
Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome

AS400 5250 emulation

Post by walt » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:34:56

Quote:> What does everyone use for emulation?  I am confused with all the
> different IBM products: Client Access, Host on Demand, iSeries access
> for Web, PC Communication.

Yes, and they get new names rather often. I guess even the coffee
makers in the IBM headquarter are now called Websphere coffee servers.

Quote:> We have been using Client Access on our
> LAN, but are now looking at using a more simple or web based product
> for clients outside our LAN. Could someone explain the differences
> between some of these products.  I find IBM unbelievably unlear and
> severly lacking in good documentation.

I've been on a IBM Roadhow about their iSeries web access products two
weeks ago. The handouts are a quite good up to date overview.
Published on ibm.de , but mostly in english.

Host Access Transformation Server (former Host on demand?):
 ibm.com/servers/de/downloads/pdf/workshop/HATSLE.pdf
 ibm.com/servers/de/downloads/pdf/workshop/HATS_Overview.pdf
Access for Web (german):
 ibm.com/servers/de/downloads/pdf/workshop/iSeries_Access_for_Web.pdf
Websphere Application server:
 ibm.com/servers/de/downloads/pdf/workshop/WASV5introUA2.pdf
Websphere development studio:
 ibm.com/servers/de/downloads/pdf/workshop/WDSc_Overview.pdf
 ibm.com/servers/de/downloads/pdf/workshop/WDSC_Webtools.pdf
 ibm.com/servers/de/downloads/pdf/workshop/WebToolsDB2Wizard.pdf
Web facing (german):
 ibm.com/servers/de/downloads/pdf/workshop/webfacing.pdf

The mayor differences:
- transforms 5250 screens on thy fly (simplest way, if you want to use
an application where you have no sources)
- transforms your DDS sources into stored web screens (few work, few
potentials)
- you create a new html interface using java (redesign in a complete
development world, also program logic in java possible, powerful but
expensive)
- licensed per user (for extranet, tele workers) or for unnumbered
internet visitors.
- opens interactive sessions or calls batch programs on the iSeries
(an iSeries costs with interactive power 4 times more!).

Walter

AS400 5250 emulation

Post by BBD » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:58:05

I have used Mochasoft 5250 emulator.  They also make an activex component.

Depending on the software you chose and the price you are willing to pay you
will see varying levels of support from full -- looka-a-laike -- products
to basic tn5250 access.

If you think that IBM is lacking in documentation, you will be very
dissapointed by most of the offerings on the market.

Good luck

> What does everyone use for emulation?  I am confused with all the
> different IBM products: Client Access, Host on Demand, iSeries access
> for Web, PC Communication.  We have been using Client Access on our
> LAN, but are now looking at using a more simple or web based product
> for clients outside our LAN. Could someone explain the differences
> between some of these products.  I find IBM unbelievably unlear and
> severly lacking in good documentation.

1. 5250 Emulation and AS400 Connectivity

Has anyone out there done a comparison among the heavy hitters for PC 5250
emulation on Windows 95/NT platforms?  I'm especially curious about magazine
articles and such that would illustrate the pros and cons of the various
packages out there.  Thanks!

2. How can you "Force" a conflict resolution

3. AS400 Client Access 5250 Emulation to indexed Access Image file

4. Attach All !

5. ideassociates 5250 emulation info

6. New article on smallbizserver.net: How to filter spam in Exchange 2000

7. PC support -vs- 5250 emulation

8. xntp on an SGI system

9. 5250 Emulation cards

10. Anybody interested in buying ISA 5250 Emulation boards?

11. 5250 Emulation card and Win95/Client Access/95

12. IBM 5250 Emulation card -> 400