AS/400 SSP - OS/400 access to SSP files

Post by Alan R. John » Fri, 13 Jun 1997 04:00:00

We have an AS/400 running 2 operating systems, the OS/400 and SSP
(older Sys/36 operating system) concurrently.

There are data files belonging to a software application that runs under
SSP
that we would like to access from OS/400 using query.

How is this accomplished?

Example:   We would like to develop several queries to access data in
a CUSTMSTR file in SSP using OS/400 query.  How do we identify the
CUSTMSTR file to the OS/400 without actually transferring the data from
SSP to OS/400?

Any help would be appreciated...

-Alan

Post by Choppe » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> We have an AS/400 running 2 operating systems, the OS/400 and SSP
> (older Sys/36 operating system) concurrently.

> There are data files belonging to a software application that runs under
> SSP
> that we would like to access from OS/400 using query.

> How is this accomplished?

> Example:   We would like to develop several queries to access data in
> a CUSTMSTR file in SSP using OS/400 query.  How do we identify the
> CUSTMSTR file to the OS/400 without actually transferring the data from
> SSP to OS/400?

> Any help would be appreciated...

> -Alan

Although I'm not a programmer, I have clients doing similar things on
their 436 and they used DDM.

Why not migrate over to S36 environment and run off the 400 side and
drop the SSP? A typical migration can be done in 6-12 hours. All the
clients we have put into the 436 have decided to do this rather than
continue to fight the dual OS problems.

--
RT
MSCS, Inc.

* The opinions expressed ARE the viewpoint of my employer. :-) *
*--------------------------------------------------------------*
*   This post is relavent to ONLY the related requested        *
*   information and is in no way meant to indicate these       *
*   are the only solutions to any given problem. While         *
*   accurate points of fact (including references, if          *
*   available) for mis-information are welcome, flames         *
*   for opinion are not and will be appropriatley ignored.     *

1. Saving SSP files on OS/400

I've read in some IBM books and seen just recently here on the NG that it's
possible to save AS/400 data files "on the fly."

What I'm wondering is if there is some way to take advantage of this feature
for SSP data files from an M36 guest machine running under OS/400?

TIA,

Mike

2. Can't create folder starting with a dot (.) in Explorer

3. SSP 7.5 Upgrade from SSP 7.1

4. How can I improve frame rate on CFS?

5. 170 with os/400 V4R4 and SSP 7.5

6. Things that go "poof!" (Megafile 44)

7. SSP to OS/400 printing

8. How to efficiently move the editboxes up an down?(GUI)

9. OS/400-SSP question

10. ssp under os/400

11. OS/400 and SSP on the same box

12. Communications between OS/400 and SSP

13. ?Transfer PC files to AS/400 SSP?