TCP/IP LPR/LPD Specifications?

Post by Tony Mill » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Can anybody out there tell me if the LPR/LPD TCP/IP specifications
support the selecting of page numbers from the requesterto the server?

When I attempt to send a request from a remote writer via TCP/IP, and I
select the page numbers I wish in the spooled file before sending it to
the outq, it invariably ignores the page number request and sends me the
entire document.

I sent the information as a defect at IBM, and it was bounced back to
me.  Before I spend money on my hourly contract, I want to make sure that
the standards support page selection.  Then when IBM says that they are
LPR/LPD compliant, I can say uh-uh.  :-)

Any information regarding this would be appreciated.

| Programmer/Analyst                    |
| U.S. Assemblies Hallstead             |

TCP/IP LPR/LPD Specifications?

Post by Gary DiPil » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Can anybody out there tell me if the LPR/LPD TCP/IP specifications
>support the selecting of page numbers from the requesterto the server?

RFC1179 -  Line Printer Daemon Protocol  makes no mention of selection
by page number.

Post by Jeffrey L. Morr » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: Can anybody out there tell me if the LPR/LPD TCP/IP specifications
: support the selecting of page numbers from the requesterto the server?

RFC1179.  No, there is no provision in the spec for only printing
certain pages(range).  LPD expects to receive a _file_ to be printed.

IBM is technically correct when they say they are compliant, but because
of the options presented when a print is requested, they create a false
expectation of what the resultant print-out will look like.

JLM

Post by Rick Eno » Wed, 03 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> > Can anybody out there tell me if the LPR/LPD TCP/IP specifications
> > support the selecting of page numbers from the requesterto the server?

> > When I attempt to send a request from a remote writer via TCP/IP, and I
> > select the page numbers I wish in the spooled file before sending it to
> > the outq, it invariably ignores the page number request and sends me the
> > entire document.
> >Dennis wrte

> There are some third party vendors with spool management products that
> claim to get around this problem. I talked with one but I don't recall
> who it was. I can try to find the info if you need it.

> Dennis

Riverside Data Systems, Inc. has a product called TCP/Utilities for the
AS/400 that addresses this issue, as well as other TCP/IP related activities.
We can be reached at 401-822-2090 or www.businesson.com/rds.

Rick Enos
Technical Marketing
Riverside Data Systems, Inc.