Coping a Spool File to a PC

Post by R. Thompso » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Is there a way to copy a spool file to a PC without losing the line spacing.
I copy a spool file to a physical file then the line spacing is gone.  I can
not find any parameters on the cpysplf command.  Thanks a million..

Ricky Thompson

Coping a Spool File to a PC

Post by Bradley V. Sto » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Is there a way to copy a spool file to a PC without losing the line spacing.
>I copy a spool file to a physical file then the line spacing is gone.  I can
>not find any parameters on the cpysplf command.  Thanks a million..

>Ricky Thompson

My PRTRNG (Print Spooled File Range) shareware tool can do this for
you.  Check it out at:

http://prairie.lakes.com/~bvstone/as400sw.html

Bradley V. Stone
http://prairie.lakes.com/~bvstone
"I wouldn't take that road in a mini-van."

Coping a Spool File to a PC

Post by Jan Willem de Lang » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

You also can use us PF with a record lenght of 133 and copy the spooled file
with the parm *FCFC, wich is with control characters
If you want it back into a spooled file then use a PRTF also witch *FCFC and
copy it back. Do not use this witch Advanced Function printing, or SET
printing just plain output

Bradley V. Stone heeft geschreven in bericht

>>Is there a way to copy a spool file to a PC without losing the line
spacing.
>>I copy a spool file to a physical file then the line spacing is gone.  I
can
>>not find any parameters on the cpysplf command.  Thanks a million..

>>Ricky Thompson

>My PRTRNG (Print Spooled File Range) shareware tool can do this for
>you.  Check it out at:

>http://prairie.lakes.com/~bvstone/as400sw.html

>Bradley V. Stone
>http://prairie.lakes.com/~bvstone
>"I wouldn't take that road in a mini-van."

Coping a Spool File to a PC

Post by Dieter Thim » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi Ricky!
Thats an old story, but try the parm CTLCHAR.
Ther are a lot of options, you can read about in the cl handbook.(*FCFC,
*PRTCTL.......)
You can write an program that translate all this information to an ASCCI file!
Good luck =:-)!
Dieter

--

|Sorry,  but .....

Quote:>Is there a way to copy a spool file to a PC without losing the line spacing.
>I copy a spool file to a physical file then the line spacing is gone.  I can
>not find any parameters on the cpysplf command.  Thanks a million..

>Ricky Thompson

Coping a Spool File to a PC

Post by Bradley V. Sto » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>You also can use us PF with a record lenght of 133 and copy the spooled file
>with the parm *FCFC, wich is with control characters
>If you want it back into a spooled file then use a PRTF also witch *FCFC and
>copy it back. Do not use this witch Advanced Function printing, or SET
>printing just plain output

This method will NOT retain line spacing, which is what he was looking
for.

Bradley V. Stone
http://prairie.lakes.com/~bvstone
"I wouldn't take that road in a mini-van."

Coping a Spool File to a PC

Post by Bradley V. Sto » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Hi Ricky!
>Thats an old story, but try the parm CTLCHAR.
>Ther are a lot of options, you can read about in the cl handbook.(*FCFC,
>*PRTCTL.......)
>You can write an program that translate all this information to an ASCCI file!
>Good luck =:-)!
>Dieter

This method will not work.  He wants to retain line spacing.  You are
right when you say you can right a program to read the file and put in
the spacing yourself.
Bradley V. Stone
http://prairie.lakes.com/~bvstone
"I wouldn't take that road in a mini-van."

Coping a Spool File to a PC

Post by Andreas Kollwi » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>This method will NOT retain line spacing, which is what he was looking
>for.

So, the only chance he has is to "print" all the lines to a program
described DB file.
I.e. if the SPLF has for instance a width of 132 then declare a pgm
described file of 132 bytes (instead of the standard pgm described
QSYSPRT; of course not that easy if he uses external PRTFs...).
Advantage: u can use the pgm described QSYSPRT output declarations w/o
changing them except the FMT name.
Disad.; as above written: presumes pgm internal output definitions.

Andreas, Germany.

Coping a Spool File to a PC

Post by Goodier Fathe » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have tried this procedure.
It's work for me.
Why it does not work fine to you ..?
I'm also using CPYSPLF ..
--
Wisnu Hermawan
System Engineer

Quote:> Is there a way to copy a spool file to a PC without losing the line
spacing.
> I copy a spool file to a physical file then the line spacing is gone.  I
can
> not find any parameters on the cpysplf command.  Thanks a million..

> Ricky Thompson

Coping a Spool File to a PC

Post by Richard Schoe » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

For downloading AS/400 reports and retaining line spacing, take a look
at our WinSpool/400 software. We also have tools for converting reports
to RTF, PDF, or HTML formats.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems

Web Site: http://www.rjssoft.com

> Is there a way to copy a spool file to a PC without losing the line spacing.
> I copy a spool file to a physical file then the line spacing is gone.  I can
> not find any parameters on the cpysplf command.  Thanks a million..

> Ricky Thompson

Coping a Spool File to a PC

Post by Bradley V. Sto » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>I have tried this procedure.
>It's work for me.
>Why it does not work fine to you ..?
>I'm also using CPYSPLF ..
>--
>Wisnu Hermawan
>System Engineer

CPYSPLF does not retain line spacing, which is what he was looking
for.

Bradley V. Stone

Post by Michael Be » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >You also can use us PF with a record lenght of 133 and copy the spooled file
> >with the parm *FCFC, wich is with control characters
> >If you want it back into a spooled file then use a PRTF also witch *FCFC and
> This method will NOT retain line spacing, which is what he was looking
> for.

Unless we perceive the term "line spacing" differently, I would have to
disagree with this. Copying with a CTLCHAR(*FCFC) or CTLCHAR(*PRTCTL)
does in fact retain line spacing. The information is encoded in the first
few bytes of every line (record) of print. If by line spacing you mean
"how many millimeters between each line of print" then you are right,
this information is lost in the copy process.

Quote:> Bradley V. Stone
> http://prairie.lakes.com/~bvstone
> "I wouldn't take that road in a mini-van."

Best regards,
Michael
EDB Gruppen A/S

Coping a Spool File to a PC

Post by Bradley V. Sto » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>> >You also can use us PF with a record lenght of 133 and copy the spooled file
>> >with the parm *FCFC, wich is with control characters
>> >If you want it back into a spooled file then use a PRTF also witch *FCFC and

>> This method will NOT retain line spacing, which is what he was looking
>> for.

>Unless we perceive the term "line spacing" differently, I would have to
>disagree with this. Copying with a CTLCHAR(*FCFC) or CTLCHAR(*PRTCTL)
>does in fact retain line spacing. The information is encoded in the first
>few bytes of every line (record) of print. If by line spacing you mean
>"how many millimeters between each line of print" then you are right,
>this information is lost in the copy process.

>> Bradley V. Stone
>> http://prairie.lakes.com/~bvstone
>> "I wouldn't take that road in a mini-van."

>Best regards,
>Michael
>EDB Gruppen A/S

I was perceiving line spacing as how many blank lines between
subsequent lines.  This is because the control fields really won't
help much when transferring to a PC.

Bradley V. Stone