DCHP

Post by Tim Strang » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

DCHP on our Server Crashes everyonce in a great while during the night.
Consequently the workers who come in before the MIS staff cannot connect to
the 400 through CA.  Is there anyway of implementing a backup DCHP server on
the 400?

Thanks,

Tim

DCHP

Post by Tim Strang » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Can you run DCHP on an NT server and have the DCHP on the 400 as a backup
server running at the same time?

DCHP

Post by Jeff M » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

First, its DHCP, so you might be having troubles doing searches using DCHP.
Second, based on the help text for CFGDHCPA, I'd say no.  Take a look:

                      Change DHCP Attributes - Help                        :
                                                                           :
     The MODE attribute determines how the DCHP server will function.  It  :
     can function as a DHCP server, or as a Relay agent only.  A Relay     :
     Agent forwards BOOTP or DHCP packets from hosts to active BOOTP or    :
     DHCP servers and from the servers back to the hosts.  It performs no  :
     BOOTP or DHCP server functions.                                       :

Perhaps you could have a block set aside that the AS/400 can assign and a
block
that the NT Server assigns.  I'm not really familiar with setting up DHCP so
you
may want to snoop around the IBM doc in this area.

Jeff M.

Quote:> Can you run DCHP on an NT server and have the DCHP on the 400 as a backup
> server running at the same time?

DCHP

Post by Tom Jedrzejewi » Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:00:00

A reasonable solution is to extend the life of the IP Address "lease"
given out by DHCP to a large number of days.  Even if the DHCP server
process is down most of the PC's will still have a valid address.  So
when the server fails, the breakage will be small before you hear
about it and fix it.

If the IP leases are 3 days, then 1/3 of the machines will have to
talk to the DHCP server each day.  If the lease is 10 days, only 1/10
of the PC's will have to talk to the server.

The lease length should be a settable parameter in the DHCP
administration options.

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:55:41 -0400, "Tim Strange"

>DCHP on our Server Crashes everyonce in a great while during the night.
>Consequently the workers who come in before the MIS staff cannot connect to
>the 400 through CA.  Is there anyway of implementing a backup DCHP server on
>the 400?

>Thanks,

>Tim

DCHP

Post by Tim Strang » Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the ideas...  theses might just help us limp through till our
capitalization comes through for next year.  Then we can get a real server.

>A reasonable solution is to extend the life of the IP Address "lease"
>given out by DHCP to a large number of days.  Even if the DHCP server
>process is down most of the PC's will still have a valid address.  So
>when the server fails, the breakage will be small before you hear
>about it and fix it.

>If the IP leases are 3 days, then 1/3 of the machines will have to
>talk to the DHCP server each day.  If the lease is 10 days, only 1/10
>of the PC's will have to talk to the server.

>The lease length should be a settable parameter in the DHCP
>administration options.

>On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:55:41 -0400, "Tim Strange"

>>DCHP on our Server Crashes everyonce in a great while during the night.
>>Consequently the workers who come in before the MIS staff cannot connect
>>the 400 through CA.  Is there anyway of implementing a backup DCHP server
on
>>the 400?

>>Thanks,

>>Tim

DCHP

Post by Tom Jedrzejewi » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Funny thing happened this morning.  The DHCP Server service hung on
(ours is on NT), and I couldn't log in because my lease had expired.

We re-started the server to get the network functioning again.   We
resolved the problem by starting DHCP on another server and splitting
the address space among the two.  If one fails, the second will pick
up the slack.  We happen to have several NT servers, so doing this
cost nothing.  You could also get a DHCP server going on an old PC and
Linux for < $100.

Finally, in answer to your original question, you CAN have the AS/400
be a DHCP server, but I don't know how to do it.  I poked around the
menu CMDTCP and found some places to start, though.  You can start the
server, and make it autostart with TCP/IP.  But I couldn't find out
how to set the table of IPs available to assign.

Maybe one of the real brains here can help!?!?

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999 07:58:42 -0400, "Tim Strange"

>Thanks for the ideas...  theses might just help us limp through till our
>capitalization comes through for next year.  Then we can get a real server.

>>A reasonable solution is to extend the life of the IP Address "lease"
>>given out by DHCP to a large number of days.  Even if the DHCP server
>>process is down most of the PC's will still have a valid address.  So
>>when the server fails, the breakage will be small before you hear
>>about it and fix it.

>>If the IP leases are 3 days, then 1/3 of the machines will have to
>>talk to the DHCP server each day.  If the lease is 10 days, only 1/10
>>of the PC's will have to talk to the server.

>>The lease length should be a settable parameter in the DHCP
>>administration options.

>>On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:55:41 -0400, "Tim Strange"

>>>DCHP on our Server Crashes everyonce in a great while during the night.
>>>Consequently the workers who come in before the MIS staff cannot connect
>>>the 400 through CA.  Is there anyway of implementing a backup DCHP server
>on
>>>the 400?

>>>Thanks,

>>>Tim

DCHP

Post by dwp » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

When I started the dhcp server on our box here, it abended because the
configuration is not defined.
The joblog mentions the following file could not be found.......

        /QIBM/UserData/OS400/DHCP/dhcpsd.cfg

I would say that if you created an appropriate file in the above location,
the DHCP server should run ok.
good luck

dave

>Funny thing happened this morning.  The DHCP Server service hung on
>(ours is on NT), and I couldn't log in because my lease had expired.

>We re-started the server to get the network functioning again.   We
>resolved the problem by starting DHCP on another server and splitting
>the address space among the two.  If one fails, the second will pick
>up the slack.  We happen to have several NT servers, so doing this
>cost nothing.  You could also get a DHCP server going on an old PC and
>Linux for < $100.

>Finally, in answer to your original question, you CAN have the AS/400
>be a DHCP server, but I don't know how to do it.  I poked around the
>menu CMDTCP and found some places to start, though.  You can start the
>server, and make it autostart with TCP/IP.  But I couldn't find out
>how to set the table of IPs available to assign.

>Maybe one of the real brains here can help!?!?

>On Fri, 15 Oct 1999 07:58:42 -0400, "Tim Strange"

>>Thanks for the ideas...  theses might just help us limp through till our
>>capitalization comes through for next year.  Then we can get a real
server.

>>>A reasonable solution is to extend the life of the IP Address "lease"
>>>given out by DHCP to a large number of days.  Even if the DHCP server
>>>process is down most of the PC's will still have a valid address.  So
>>>when the server fails, the breakage will be small before you hear
>>>about it and fix it.

>>>If the IP leases are 3 days, then 1/3 of the machines will have to
>>>talk to the DHCP server each day.  If the lease is 10 days, only 1/10
>>>of the PC's will have to talk to the server.

>>>The lease length should be a settable parameter in the DHCP
>>>administration options.

>>>On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:55:41 -0400, "Tim Strange"

>>on

DCHP

Post by Paul Nicola » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Tom,

The DHCP server is configured via Operations Navigator.

Kind regards,
Paul
-----------
...snip...

Finally, in answer to your original question, you CAN have the AS/400
be a DHCP server, but I don't know how to do it.  I poked around the
menu CMDTCP and found some places to start, though.  You can start the
server, and make it autostart with TCP/IP.  But I couldn't find out
how to set the table of IPs available to assign.

Maybe one of the real brains here can help!?!?

       my employer, Merck & Co., Inc.  All responsibility for the statements
       sender.

DCHP

Post by Gracht, M.M. van de » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Tom,

The DHCP server is configured via Operations Navigator.
Via NETWORK-SERVERS-TCP/IP then server name DHCP (right click) choose
configuration, screen New DHCP Configuration and then the HELP button, will help
you.
You should find the answers (backup, etc.)

kind regards and succes,

Ren