PC5250 Printer Emulation and IPL

Post by Cadav » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:10:27

We just started using PC5250 Printer Emulation with printers attached
to a windows workstation.  Everything works great until the system
IPLs at night.  The day after an IPL (which is every night), we have
to close the PC5250 printer session then reopen it so we can print
again.  There are no messages and the PC5250 session still has a ready
light.  The print device is stopped eventhough it's confiuration is
set to start after an IPL.

We have OS/400 V5R1.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

Post by Bill Z Bub » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:11:35

> We just started using PC5250 Printer Emulation with printers attached
> to a windows workstation.  Everything works great until the system
> IPLs at night.  The day after an IPL (which is every night), we have
> to close the PC5250 printer session then reopen it so we can print
> again.  There are no messages and the PC5250 session still has a ready
> light.  The print device is stopped eventhough it's confiuration is
> set to start after an IPL.

If you're going to continue IPL'ing every night (which is rarely
necessary), then you probably should find a program that reboots the PC at
an appropriate time so it can automatically reconnect with the 400.

Bill

PC5250 Printer Emulation and IPL

Post by Overal » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:38:22

Why are you using this option ?
Can't you start the printer services on the Windows Workstation (Nt, 2000 &
XP have this feature) and create an outq on the AS:400 ?
Working this way you don't need additional software on the PC and you are
using standard tools & connectivity on the AS/400.

Quote:> We just started using PC5250 Printer Emulation with printers attached

Post by Dr. Ugo Gagliardell » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 03:48:52

> We just started using PC5250 Printer Emulation with printers attached
> to a windows workstation.  Everything works great until the system
> IPLs at night.  The day after an IPL (which is every night), we have
> to close the PC5250 printer session then reopen it so we can print
> again.  There are no messages and the PC5250 session still has a ready
> light.  The print device is stopped eventhough it's confiuration is
> set to start after an IPL.

It's a normal behaviour, since the PC loose the connection it won't print again, the device on as400 and the writer as well start whe a connection request is forwarded by the PC.

--
Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherA?ejoAlcoolInside
Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome