V5R1M0 ODBC and W2K

Post by Peter » Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:05:12

We are trying to connect to some tables in iSeries by using Client
Access ODBC V5R1M0 on a Windows 2000 client.
When trying the connection by using Microsoft Access 2000, it works
fine for some tables, but for others it doesn't, in various degrees.
Some are displayed when called upon with all fields displayed as
#deleted, but by adding a filter to that view all data is displayed
correct.
In some data can be altered, and in other tables, that operation is
not allowed.

We have tried to find the solution within the translation of codepages
without success. I have no more ideas of what to do.

Any pointers or hints would be greatly appreciated.

/Peter

V5R1M0 ODBC and W2K

Post by Grzegorz Goryszewsk » Tue, 26 Nov 2002 02:02:35

Peter,
    You have to have the latest service pack for CA EXp installed.
    Regards.

    Grzegorz Goryszewski

V5R1M0 ODBC and W2K

Post by Steve Landes » Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:59:17

Quote:> Some are displayed when called upon with all fields displayed as
> #deleted, but by adding a filter to that view all data is displayed
> correct.
> We have tried to find the solution within the translation of codepages
> without success. I have no more ideas of what to do.

> Any pointers or hints would be greatly appreciated.

I fixed the problem of fields displaying as #DELETED by changing the
translation setting on the ODBC connection.  Have you changed to setting on
the ODBC connection to allow translation?  In Settings>Control
Panel>Administrative Tools>Data Sources (ODBC), select the ODBC data source
that you defined, and click <Configure>.  Then click the <Translation> tab,
and click the Radio button labeled "Translate CCSID 65535".

Quote:> In some data can be altered, and in other tables, that operation is
> not allowed.

I believe that Access requires a unique key field in order to update the
file.  If the tables that you are attempting to modify on the AS/400 don't
have a field that is defined as a unique key, it only allows read access to
the file thru the Access linked table.

Steve Landess
Austin, Texas
(512) 423-0935

Quote:> We are trying to connect to some tables in iSeries by using Client
> Access ODBC V5R1M0 on a Windows 2000 client.
> When trying the connection by using Microsoft Access 2000, it works
> fine for some tables, but for others it doesn't, in various degrees.

> /Peter

V5R1M0 ODBC and W2K

Post by Peter » Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:13:46

> Peter,
>     You have to have the latest service pack for CA EXp installed.
>     Regards.

>     Grzegorz Goryszewski

Have installed sp SI05361 and also changed the file cwbodbc.dll to a
new one found at ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/as400/products/clientaccess/win32/v5r1m0/f...

regards
Peter Ek

V5R1M0 ODBC and W2K

Post by Peter » Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:34:27

> > Some are displayed when called upon with all fields displayed as
> > #deleted, but by adding a filter to that view all data is displayed
> > correct.
> > We have tried to find the solution within the translation of codepages
> > without success. I have no more ideas of what to do.

> > Any pointers or hints would be greatly appreciated.

> I fixed the problem of fields displaying as #DELETED by changing the
> translation setting on the ODBC connection.  Have you changed to setting on
> the ODBC connection to allow translation?  In Settings>Control
> Panel>Administrative Tools>Data Sources (ODBC), select the ODBC data source
> that you defined, and click <Configure>.  Then click the <Translation> tab,
> and click the Radio button labeled "Translate CCSID 65535".

I have tried both ways. In my current setting the button is ticked.

Quote:> > In some data can be altered, and in other tables, that operation is
> > not allowed.

> I believe that Access requires a unique key field in order to update the
> file.  If the tables that you are attempting to modify on the AS/400 don't
> have a field that is defined as a unique key, it only allows read access to
> the file thru the Access linked table.

In those cases Access normaly allows the user to set the keys when
creating the link. But these tables all got unique keys.

> Steve Landess
> Austin, Texas
> (512) 423-0935

> > We are trying to connect to some tables in iSeries by using Client
> > Access ODBC V5R1M0 on a Windows 2000 client.
> > When trying the connection by using Microsoft Access 2000, it works
> > fine for some tables, but for others it doesn't, in various degrees.

> > /Peter

When trying to import data using the AS/400-data import/export
function provided by Client Access a get this error message:

//
CWBDB0036 - Servern returnerade ett SQL-fel

SQL0189 - Coded Character Set Identifier 850 not valid.

Cause . . . . . :   Coded Character Set Identifier (CCSID) 850 is not
valid for one of the following reasons: -- The CCSID is not EBCDIC. --
The CCSID is not supported by the system. -- The CCSID is not valid
for the data type. -- If the CCSID is specified for graphic or DBCLOB
data, then the CCSID must be a DBCS CCSID. -- If the CCSID is
specified for UCS-2 data, then the CCSID must be a UCS-2 CCSID. -- If
the CCSID is specified for CLOB, DBCLOB or DATALINK data, then the
CCSID must not be 65535. -- If there are multiple DATALINK columns
with FILE LINK CONTROL, they must all have the same CCSID. Recovery  .
. . :   Ensure that all CCSID values in the statement are supported by
the system and are valid for the data type. For a list of valid CCSID
values, refer to the Work Management Guide.
//

This error message got me starting thinking the problem was not within
the ODBC-connection itselfe but somewhere in the translation of
codepages. But way then some tables and not all of them?

/Peter

1. Creating ODBC DSN with CA V5R1M0

We have code within MS Access to add ODBC datasources for our AS/400,
using the CA driver. This has stopped working since moving to V5R1M0
from V4R5M0. I can see that the registry entries for DSN have changed
significantly.

Anyone know where I can find the full list of keywords for the
attributes string that the RegisterDatabase method requires ?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Can't get access to workstation

3. CAV5R2M0 ODBC with OS400 V5R1M0

4. Copying file over itself

5. AND on a many to many table, with arbitrary ANDs

6. **A Secret XXX Password***

7. How to send print/spool to W2K disk (BRMS Reports)

8. Compiling tcsh 6.05 on hpux 10.x .

9. Client Acces and V5R1M0 and twinax cards

10. RPG4 - SQL and V5R1M0 question.

11. Calling Stored Procedures with ADO/OLE DB under V5R1M0

12. Client Access Express with W2k

13. %EOF OR %FOUND not working correct V5R1M0