cross reference database file - can i modify it?

cross reference database file - can i modify it?

Post by Sunki » Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:00:00

what kind of problems would i have if i began to play the the cross
reference data base file....mainly, what i would like to do is to
modify the long field names field to contain some a name that i assign
to it.....can this be done or will i wack the system in trying....
i am running on a s20-2161 and the problem that i have is that
development wrote a bunch of sql statements making use of the short
field names and in the migration from a v3r1 system to v4r2, the long
field names changed somewhat.....

Post by Tony Barre » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>what kind of problems would i have if i began to play the the cross
>reference data base file....mainly, what i would like to do is to
>modify the long field names field to contain some a name that i assign
>to it.....can this be done or will i wack the system in trying....
>i am running on a s20-2161 and the problem that i have is that
>development wrote a bunch of sql statements making use of the short
>field names and in the migration from a v3r1 system to v4r2, the long
>field names changed somewhat.....

If you do DSPFD  QADB* you will see that the attributes for these
files allow records to be read, but not written to, updated or
deleted. So, no problems, because you can't do it!

Tony

Post by Sunki » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>>what kind of problems would i have if i began to play the the cross
>>reference data base file....mainly, what i would like to do is to
>>modify the long field names field to contain some a name that i assign
>>to it.....can this be done or will i wack the system in trying....
>>i am running on a s20-2161 and the problem that i have is that
>>development wrote a bunch of sql statements making use of the short
>>field names and in the migration from a v3r1 system to v4r2, the long
>>field names changed somewhat.....

>If you do DSPFD  QADB* you will see that the attributes for these
>files allow records to be read, but not written to, updated or
>deleted. So, no problems, because you can't do it!

>Tony

damn...foiled again!!!!!!

1. System cross reference file & V3R1

How about the QADBIFLD file and associated PF's and LF's?
Do I need the the QADBIFLD? Do I need the QAPGZCOL (or what is's name)
huge logical in QIWS? Does anyone have experience reorganising these files?

On our test machine the QADBIFLD has 1.7 million records and about 200,000 deleted ones.
in the next few months we expect to upgrade our system-test machine to V3R1.We expect the
QADBIFLD to contain about 3 mill records, occupying approx. 2.5 GB of dasd (including LF's).

I like the AS/400 but why do I have to suffer a penalty for each database related action I
perform in V3R1.

2. Executing a Server Application (REXX) from Form.45 from Windows 3.1

3. cross reference file error

4. PasteLink problems with Describe

5. Any way to reference a field reference file from SQL?

6. Apple II Survival Manual - Free!

7. Cross Reference Files

8. AIX to OS/400 command cross reference?

9. unix to as/400 cross reference?

10. Program cross-reference utility

11. Cross Reference Tools

12. ILE program cross reference