Still on Java & As/400

Post by grace aguila » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

What are the necessary inputs/tools required to Java-enable existing RPG
applications?

Since I'm more interested on the Java end, is it possible to develop the GUI
front-ends in PC and just later integrate them with AS400 applications
instead?

Is "zero-coding" for Java possible when using screen-scraping solutions?

If not, how extensive is the Java coding needed to web-enable existing RPG
applications to Java?

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
 Before you buy.

Still on Java & As/400

Post by PRM » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi Grace

Java is now quite a general term.

1. Java the language might be compared to RPG the language. Fine (except
that there is a huge cultural difference and Java isn't clearly better
at traditional database and transaction).

2. Java the technology (JVM) is being held back on the Web client -
browsers aren't keeping up, I don't know why.

3. There are several Applets that can offer terminal emulation (from browser).

Many people are choosing JSP and servlets as the next solid step to
take. As this requires little from the browser (especially important for
a store front).

Best regards
Pete

> What are the necessary inputs/tools required to Java-enable existing RPG
> applications?

> Since I'm more interested on the Java end, is it possible to develop the GUI
> front-ends in PC and just later integrate them with AS400 applications
> instead?

> Is "zero-coding" for Java possible when using screen-scraping solutions?

> If not, how extensive is the Java coding needed to web-enable existing RPG
> applications to Java?

>  Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>  Before you buy.

1. Java & AS/400 - Is anybody REALLY doing it?

I've been going through the "Java for RPG Programmers" book and am very
anxious to get started.  I'm a little disappointed at the lack of support
and interest from some of my colleagues.  But maybe I shouldn't be,
considering the general lack of interest in ILE that I've seen in the
business world.

Is anybody doing Java on the AS/400?  Especially anybody near Columbus,
Ohio?

Someone I work with stated that they were talking to an IBM consultant, who
said that Java isn't being embraced the way that they had hoped, and that
they are refocusing their efforts on the advantages of ILE.

I'm not suggesting that RPG go away (although sometimes I just wish it would
<grins>), but if the AS/400 doesn't do something about the lack of GUI
support, the programmer pool is just going to keep getting thinner.

But I digress...

If anybody is doing real Java development in the Columbus area, please let
me know.  Does anybody else have any thoughts on this subject?

Tom Howard

2. XP in comp.lang.python, comp.lang.ruby, elsewhere

3. Help! Does anyone know newsgroup for Java & AS/400?

4. Who are CES marketing group?

5. java & Iseries & mail

6. - VGB Launchpad 97 Upgraded for VGB-DOS 0.85 -

7. AS/400 java problem: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no net in java.library.path

8. Cloud Lisp

9. CODE/400 & Java Compile Problem

10. SOCKETS - between OS/400 and Windows 95, using JAVA and OS/400 java beta.

11. JAVA & COBOL in same transaction

12. JAVA & V3R2