Ascii or Bin ftp transfer?

Post by Daniel Teixei » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 19:05:18

hi.
(as400 and linux newbie here)
I am installing a Linux box to make my as400 backups (complementing
the tape backups).

what i need to know is what kind of transfer mode should i use... the
files are DB2 databases (i think) ant the os version is 5R1M0.

Should i use Binary or ASCII transfer mode??

Thanks!

Ascii or Bin ftp transfer?

Post by Lesze » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 19:34:44

Quote:> what i need to know is what kind of transfer mode should i use... the
> files are DB2 databases (i think) ant the os version is 5R1M0.

> Should i use Binary or ASCII transfer mode??

When use a ASCII databases was converted from EBCDIC to ASCII. (You may lost
special characters)
When use a binary databases was not converted.

I am prefer binary transfer

Regards
Leszek G.

Ascii or Bin ftp transfer?

Post by Drew Dekreo » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 01:43:22

Are you trying to ftp save files to the linux box? If so, you must use
binary..
Or, are you trying to duplicate the data to the linux machine? If so,
you have plenty of problems ahead of you, not the least of which is
dealing with packed fields.

> hi.
> (as400 and linux newbie here)
> I am installing a Linux box to make my as400 backups (complementing
> the tape backups).

> what i need to know is what kind of transfer mode should i use... the
> files are DB2 databases (i think) ant the os version is 5R1M0.

> Should i use Binary or ASCII transfer mode??

> Thanks!

1. Client Access Express File Transfer Question - NO EBCDIC TO ASCII TRANSLATION

Hello,

I need to know how to tell Client Access Express to
transfer a file from the AS/400 to a PC file, WITHOUT
translating it from EBCDIC to ASCII.

I dont have the product so clear steps are necessary.

I know in Client Access you can specify "NO CONVERSION"
for file type. What are the steps or options to set to do
the same in Client Access Express.

Thanks in advance.

Malcolm

2. Fast Clock Problem

3. How I can transfer a flat ascii file to a DDS file format??????????/

4. Stubborn "double" Desktop problem

5. File transfer EBCDIC to ANSI/ASCII NT/95

6. Umax Scanner Driver Difficulties,Win2000

7. *.FDF file for ASCII-transfer works on 16-bit not 32-bit CAWIN

8. Default Gateway problem

9. Transfer a EBCDIC to PC converting to a Delimited ASCII

10. How I can transfer a flat ascii file to a DDS file format??????????/

11. FTP ASCII to EBCDIC Conversion Table

12. FTP Ascii Translation Problem

13. FTP and lost ASCII characters