Difference between active star and switches

Difference between active star and switches

Post by Thibau » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:36:05

Hi,

i'd like to know if it is possible to connect an as400 server with an
ethernet card to a generic switch and then connect twinax devices like
terminals or printers to the switch with the help of baluns.

I've heard of active star devices but i don't really see the
difference with a switch but the twinax port maybe. Maybe it's more
reliable in such network topology...

Thanks for your help

T PASTOR

Difference between active star and switches

Post by Ken » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:49:14

Hi -

Quote:>i'd like to know if it is possible to connect an as400 server with an
>ethernet card to a generic switch and then connect twinax devices like
>terminals or printers to the switch with the help of baluns.

Twinax and ethernet have totally different protocols.  You cannot hook
a twinax connection to an ethernet card.  You cannot run a twinax
connection through an ethernet switch.  Twinax and ethernet must be
kept separate.

You can run twinax in a star configuration, however the common point
must either be totally passive (just providing parallel connections)
or must be something designed for twinax use.

Ken
http://www.ke9nr.net/
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or anyone in their right mind.

Post by Warren Bloc » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:10:13

> Hi -

>>i'd like to know if it is possible to connect an as400 server with an
>>ethernet card to a generic switch and then connect twinax devices like
>>terminals or printers to the switch with the help of baluns.

> Twinax and ethernet have totally different protocols.  You cannot hook
> a twinax connection to an ethernet card.  You cannot run a twinax
> connection through an ethernet switch.  Twinax and ethernet must be
> kept separate.

Agreed.  However, there are devices to connect multiple twinax devices
to Ethernet networks.  Terminal servers, really.  (I can't recall the
name of the one I saw, although it was $1500.)

Difference between active star and switches

Post by Thibau » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 17:55:57

Allright,

so what is the way to follow in order to connect PCs, twinax terminals
and twinax printers to the AS/400 server with RJ45 Cat 5 cables?

Thank you

T PASTOR

> > Hi -

> >>i'd like to know if it is possible to connect an as400 server with an
> >>ethernet card to a generic switch and then connect twinax devices like
> >>terminals or printers to the switch with the help of baluns.

> > Twinax and ethernet have totally different protocols.  You cannot hook
> > a twinax connection to an ethernet card.  You cannot run a twinax
> > connection through an ethernet switch.  Twinax and ethernet must be
> > kept separate.

> Agreed.  However, there are devices to connect multiple twinax devices
> to Ethernet networks.  Terminal servers, really.  (I can't recall the
> name of the one I saw, although it was $1500.)

Difference between active star and switches

Post by Charles Wil » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:04:19

Depends on what protocol you want to use.

If Ethernet only, then you a Ethernet hub or switch along with network
cards for the AS/400, the PCs and you need Ethernet/Twinax converters for
the Twinax devices like this:
http://www.system3x.com/as400_products/505309.asp

If Twinax only, you need twinax cards and emulation software for the PCs.
Along with baluns and a twinax hub such as:
http://www.system3x.com/TWINAX_HUBS/TWINAX_HUBS.asp

Third option is to use a combination of Ethernet and Twinax.  For this
you need Ethernet cards for the AS/400 & PCs and an Ethernet hub.  Along
with a Twinax hub and balens for the twinax devices.  This is I believe
the most cost effective and easiest to implement method.

HTH,
Charles

Post by Warren Bloc » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 01:46:21

> Depends on what protocol you want to use.

> If Ethernet only, then you a Ethernet hub or switch along with network
> cards for the AS/400, the PCs and you need Ethernet/Twinax converters for
> the Twinax devices like this:
> http://www.system3x.com/as400_products/505309.asp

Aha!  That's exactly the one I saw.  Kind of expensive, but useful for
someone.

Difference between active star and switches

Post by Charles Wil » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 05:37:46

I don't think it exactly fits the needs of the original poster...but
hopefully he'll get the idea.

I'm pretty sure they make individual device units....but I couldn't take
the time to find them.  The System3x website would be a good place to
call, also BlackBox used to have lots of twinax stuff.

Charles

says...

> > Depends on what protocol you want to use.

> > If Ethernet only, then you a Ethernet hub or switch along with network
> > cards for the AS/400, the PCs and you need Ethernet/Twinax converters for
> > the Twinax devices like this:
> > http://www.system3x.com/as400_products/505309.asp

> Aha!  That's exactly the one I saw.  Kind of expensive, but useful for
> someone.

Difference between active star and switches

Post by walt » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:04:27

Quote:> so what is the way to follow in order to connect PCs, twinax terminals
> and twinax printers to the AS/400 server with RJ45 Cat 5 cables?

We do it like this:

Twinax terminal/printer:
*a Balun onto t's twinax connector. It has a RJ45 plug at the
other end. use normal cat5 patch cables from there.

AS/400 side:
Use an object called "active star". Has 7 RJ45 plugs for twx address
0...7, plus one RJ45 to the AS/400 like the normal type-1 distribution
devices, just with RJ45.
Use a cat5 patch cable to the AS/400's workstation controller and
*another Balun on it, same as on the terminal side.

An active star has usually two 1+7 groups on it, supplies 14 devices.
Should be available rather cheap from s*rooms of many companys,
for a sixpack of beer or so, because twinax world leaves more and more
companys.

Walter

Difference between active star and switches

Post by RT » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:01:11

If the distances are short, you can use "passive" star panels. We get them
new for around $85.

Active (powered) star panels are much more expensive, but as one other
poster mentioned, can oftne be had for a few bucks. I sold the only 2 or 3
we could spare to someone a few months back for something like $75 each...

RT

Quote:> Hi,

> i'd like to know if it is possible to connect an as400 server with an
> ethernet card to a generic switch and then connect twinax devices like
> terminals or printers to the switch with the help of baluns.

> I've heard of active star devices but i don't really see the
> difference with a switch but the twinax port maybe. Maybe it's more
> reliable in such network topology...

> Thanks for your help

> T PASTOR

1. looking for baluns/powered active star hubs

I maintain a couple of adv/36's and as/400's and they use cat 3 (rj11) style
baluns and hubs.  I know many of you are or have went to ethernet and probably
have active (powered) hubs and baluns on hand, collecting dust.

If you are interested in selling them, send me an email with the brand, whether
it is rj11 or rj45, if it is 3&4 and 2&5 or just what and how many (baluns,
hubs) and what you want for them.

chris

2. Tapi Testing Tools, Training, and Services

3. Need Star-Tek 299AT Active Hub for AS/400

4. Vuescan doesn't recognize my 2 scanners

5. passing switches

6. Apple and PC share files?

7. 5250 ISA Emulation Board question-Dip switches?

8. Magneto Optical Disks

9. AS/400 and Cisco routers/switches

10. Changed hubs to switches - how do I reset the AS/400???

11. NWAYS 2220-300/500 Broadband switches

12. Switches anyone?