pdf files, webserver, starting windows programs from client access....

pdf files, webserver, starting windows programs from client access....

Post by sw » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:37:21

got a bunch of pdf files sitting on a AS/400 webserver (V5R2....apache i
think?), i'm using client access on the client side to initiate internet
explorer on the local machine and the mission is to view, print and email
them and try to figure out some semblance of security so the users cant see
or modify the URL.

i have been experimenting with kiosk mode on the client side and it *almost*
cuts the mustard....the problem is that in kiosk mode you only have the
adobe toolbar...which doesnt have an email button. so basically im after the
functionality of ie without the address bar......or some way for kiosk mode
to access the ie mail function.

i have also been investigating using the mailto command, but it seems for
security purposes you cant call a new mail with an attachment on a remote
intranet server....

mailing directly from the 400 is an option....but it isnt actually running a
SMTP server at the moment...and the powers that be arent particulary keen on
doing it because its somewhat more clunky than doing it on the client side.

the only other option i can think of is some server side cgi or perl or
something like that.....but i dont know any of them well enough.

anyone got any ideas?

pdf files, webserver, starting windows programs from client access....

Post by Richard Schoe » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 00:32:04

If you're open to a commercial solution, you could have our Image Server/400
Document Management software up and running within 30 minutes.

Image Server/400 is a browser based document management product.

No file URL's are exposed because all documents are streamed from the IFS to
the users browser via our application.

For more info, check out our web site or contact me directly.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"The AS/400 - iSeries Report and Data Delivery Experts"

Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com

Quote:> got a bunch of pdf files sitting on a AS/400 webserver (V5R2....apache i
> think?), i'm using client access on the client side to initiate internet
> explorer on the local machine and the mission is to view, print and email
> them and try to figure out some semblance of security so the users cant
see
> or modify the URL.

> i have been experimenting with kiosk mode on the client side and it
*almost*
> cuts the mustard....the problem is that in kiosk mode you only have the
> adobe toolbar...which doesnt have an email button. so basically im after
the
> functionality of ie without the address bar......or some way for kiosk
mode
> to access the ie mail function.

> i have also been investigating using the mailto command, but it seems for
> security purposes you cant call a new mail with an attachment on a remote
> intranet server....

> mailing directly from the 400 is an option....but it isnt actually running
> SMTP server at the moment...and the powers that be arent particulary keen
on
> doing it because its somewhat more clunky than doing it on the client
side.

> the only other option i can think of is some server side cgi or perl or
> something like that.....but i dont know any of them well enough.

> anyone got any ideas?

1. Distributing Client Access by Windows Policy (msi files)

Hi,

Has anybody had any experience distributing Client Access using
Windows Group Policy to do this?

We have tried building our own msi package but Operations navigator
will not work on the target machine. 5250 emulation sessions are okay
but Ops Nav just crashes.

Why can't IBM supply an msi package with the install media?

Thanks,
Daniel....

2. Looking for shareware compression code

3. Problem starting webserver (*admin)

4. FS: New PCI Ultra SCSI Card for SUN Ultra 5/10/Blade *** Cheap!!!!!

5. Creating PDF files from Spool Files

6. FA: Several vintage Apple 2 ads

7. Document (PDF files or Spool files) Distribution via Web?

8. Simplified?

9. Upgrade to Client Access 400 for Windows 95 From Windows 3.1

10. Can the DOS/Windows Client Access client run under Windows95?

11. 5099-9999 Error message when starting client access.

12. PCSERR100 starting Client Access Session