Problem with Getting my AS400 on the net

Problem with Getting my AS400 on the net

Post by Phillip Lyle » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi Everybody,

  Got my AS400 connected to my ISP, I can ping the 400 from the internet
but if I try to ftp,telnet, or use HTTP I can't get on.  I have all the host
servers running and I can run all the above from PC's directed attached to
the As400 but cannot from the internet.   I do not have a real domain name
but shouldn't I be able to get on just using the IP address?  Please guys
tell me it is something simple:)  Thanks for any help anybody can give me.

Phillip Lyles

Problem with Getting my AS400 on the net

Post by Richard Daniel » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

Sounds like a good chance that you've not set the default route on the 400.  In
CFGTCP select work with routes.  Specify your internet router IP address as
*DFTROUTE.

Good Luck!
* Daniels
WYNTH,Inc

> Hi Everybody,

>   Got my AS400 connected to my ISP, I can ping the 400 from the internet
> but if I try to ftp,telnet, or use HTTP I can't get on.  I have all the host
> servers running and I can run all the above from PC's directed attached to
> the As400 but cannot from the internet.   I do not have a real domain name
> but shouldn't I be able to get on just using the IP address?  Please guys
> tell me it is something simple:)  Thanks for any help anybody can give me.

> Phillip Lyles

Problem with Getting my AS400 on the net

Post by Paul Nicola » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi Richard,

If that would be the case, than PING would NOT work neither.

Phillip, could you give us a bit more details about the connection ?  Do
you use a firewall ?  If so, what ports are routed to the machine ? Has
your AS/400 an internal IP-adres, or an official internet one ? Do the
functions work from inside ? And so on...

Regards,
Paul
____________________

t>...

> Sounds like a good chance that you've not set the default route on the
400.  In
> CFGTCP select work with routes.  Specify your internet router IP address
as
> *DFTROUTE.

> Good Luck!
>* Daniels
> WYNTH,Inc

> > Hi Everybody,

> >   Got my AS400 connected to my ISP, I can ping the 400 from the
internet
> > but if I try to ftp,telnet, or use HTTP I can't get on.  I have all the
host
> > servers running and I can run all the above from PC's directed attached
> > the As400 but cannot from the internet.   I do not have a real domain
name
> > but shouldn't I be able to get on just using the IP address?  Please
guys
> > tell me it is something simple:)  Thanks for any help anybody can give
me.

> > Phillip Lyles

       my employer, Merck & Co., Inc.  All responsibility for the statements
       sender.

Problem with Getting my AS400 on the net

Post by Phillip Lyle » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi Richard,
  Thanks for the reply.  Should my ISP's IP address be put there or my
AS400's IP address?

Phillip Lyles

t>...

Post by Richard Daniel » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

> Hi Richard,
>   Thanks for the reply.  Should my ISP's IP address be put there or my
> AS400's IP address?

As Paul pointed out in a previous post, that you are able to ping the 400 from the
internet implies that my suggestion missed the point.

But in response to your reply, the answer is neither.  There should be a route
destination that represents the Internet (usually this would be *DFTROUTE) where the
'Next Hop' should be the IP address of your internet 'gateway router'.  Exactly what
the gateway router is depends on how the internet connects to your LAN.

Use option 2 from the CFGTCP (Work with TCP/IP routes) command.  You should see a
'list' of routes like:
                                                 Type
         Route               Subnet              of             Next
 Opt     Destination         Mask                Service        Hop
  _
         *DFTROUTE           *NONE               *NORMAL        123.45.67.89

where 123.45.67.89 is your gateway router.  In some cases, there can be other entries
here.  EG. a gateway router to a remote office location.

Hopefully this has been some help...

Dick Daniels
WYNTH,Inc

Problem with Getting my AS400 on the net

Post by Bill Guenthne » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

Bunch of good answers but, since you can ping it the route is obviously
defined.
I had the same problem and it was because the ISP was FILTERING server side
protocols. Many ISP's do this particularly the smaller ones. Their intent is
to reduce traffic and also force you to get a "business" account if you want
to run a server across their connection. I know that Sprint does not block
anything. Hope this helps.

>Hi Everybody,

>  Got my AS400 connected to my ISP, I can ping the 400 from the internet
>but if I try to ftp,telnet, or use HTTP I can't get on.  I have all the
host
>servers running and I can run all the above from PC's directed attached to
>the As400 but cannot from the internet.   I do not have a real domain name
>but shouldn't I be able to get on just using the IP address?  Please guys
>tell me it is something simple:)  Thanks for any help anybody can give me.

>Phillip Lyles

1. getting e-mail server on to the net

We have been running an e-mail server on our internal network for some time
with any problems.  We  just got a dedicated internet connection and now I
am trying to get the e-mail server to send and receive from the net as well.
All of the NAT setting should be right as I can see our web site as well and
telnet etc. But for some reason, when I am on another ISP, if I put in our
IP address in the POP3 and SMTP settings in mail clients, they just error
out when I try to send mail to the server or retreive mail from it.  The
error that I get is: Connection to the server has failed.  Also I have tried
to send to e-mail to the mail server from a dial up account and I is
returned as undeliverable.  How, if I am on the LAN (using our internal SMTP
settings without any NAT) I am able to send e-mail to anyone, internal or
external.  Does anyone have any ideas or can you point me in the right
direction?

Tom

I am able to send e-mail

2. How to change the bind order on multihomed server

3. Problem in Getting the output parameter from a DB2/400 stored procedure

4. data declared as const is garbage?

5. Problem of getting data through OLE DB

6. starting a job at specified intervals

7. Client Access Problem w. Win NT - Getting to Shared Folders

8. A new slant on the old problem of getting the IP address

9. SF45545 SP problem: can't see folders on Win95 net neighborhood

10. net.commerce: Problem when trying to start an instance.

11. net.data problem

12. Net.Data Performance Problem