LPD to use with AS/400

Post by someb.. » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Good Day!!

        I am wondering if anyone has found a good solid LPD for windows95
and windows for workgroups? I am have been trying all the shareware stuff
but to no luck. I need something that is stable secure and works well.
I am not necessary looking for something that is bargain ba*t cheap.

                                                Carlos

LPD to use with AS/400

Post by Kjetil Larse » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Good Day!!

>    I am wondering if anyone has found a good solid LPD for windows95
> and windows for workgroups? I am have been trying all the shareware stuff
> but to no luck. I need something that is stable secure and works well.
> I am not necessary looking for something that is bargain ba*t cheap.

>                                            Carlos

Have anyone tried RPM / Remote Printer Manager from Brooks Internet
Software?
( 800 523 9175 / 208 523 6970)
It's an LPD for Windows 3.1, it support AS/400 and cost $40.

Kjetil Larsen

LPD to use with AS/400

Post by Frederic LACHASS » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Can you use Windows NT instead ? It is shipped with an LPD service and
it's VERY reliable.

 Frederic LACHASSE (ECP 86)

 CompuServe: 100530,2005

LPD to use with AS/400

Post by Sean McName » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I looked around for a good LPD as well, the other day I came across a
shareware copy of "niprint" from Network Instruments.  I set it up on my
win95 workstation with and right away was able to send as400 spools job to
it with the LPR command on the 400.  Even better, the printouts came looked
great with overprinting and underlining intact.

The programs sits in the system tray when minimized and lights up when
sending or receiving.

The software only costs $29 bucks from the companys for 1 license and only
$189 for a 10 license pack.  Unless I come across something better, I'll
problally get the 10 pack.

Quote:> Good Day!!

>    I am wondering if anyone has found a good solid LPD for windows95
> and windows for workgroups? I am have been trying all the shareware stuff
> but to no luck. I need something that is stable secure and works well.
> I am not necessary looking for something that is bargain ba*t cheap.

>                                            Carlos

LPD to use with AS/400

Post by Tim Brow » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Good Day!!

>    I am wondering if anyone has found a good solid LPD for windows95
> and windows for workgroups? I am have been trying all the shareware stuff
> but to no luck. I need something that is stable secure and works well.
> I am not necessary looking for something that is bargain ba*t cheap.

Checkout NetManage's web page, I believe their Chameleon product offers
LPR/LPD.

www.netmanage.com

(Of course, NT comes standard with it ;-)

LPD to use with AS/400

Post by Dave Broo » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Good Day!!

>       I am wondering if anyone has found a good solid LPD for windows95
> and windows for workgroups? I am have been trying all the shareware stuff
> but to no luck. I need something that is stable secure and works well.
> I am not necessary looking for something that is bargain ba*t cheap.

Depending on what your LPD needs are, you might take a look at RPM. We're
aware of LPDs in the suites, but most if not all of these are pretty
minimalistic -- just dumping bytes to the printer. RPM offers support of all
the printers you can see from Windows; you can select any font for a given
printer; set margins, line wrap optons, and tons more.  Many of our clients
are using RPM to receive print jobs form their AS/400s, as well as mainframes,
Unix workstations, etc.

The demo is free on the net -- check it out and see if it works for you. Also,
the beta of the next version is now available on the net as a demo (limited #
of uses, full featured). It includes new stuff like specifying the lines per
inch, etc.

We're trying to take the approach that we do the protocol, but we offer as
much as possible in post-processing once the data arrives on your machine. Of
course, RPM can also send data directly to the printer.

I hope this helps,
Dave

David L. Brooks                             Brooks Internet Software, Inc.

 Home of RPM, a new LPD server for Windows - check the Web page for demo!

1. How to use an OS/390 system as an LPD destination

Where I work (SMS) we have a mix of S/390 and AS/400 systems.

Because of all of the features that we have for the 390s, such
a very high speed / high capacity printers, I want to be able
to route reports there for printing, etc.

I created an outqueue on the 400 that specifies the IP address
of the 390.  And the print data does, in fact, get to the 390.

The problem is that is looks like a stream of data, not print
lines when viewed.  Also, it does not print anywhere near
correctly.

When I create the outqueue, the 400 will not let me specify
a 390 as the destination when using IP.  The 390 is available
as an option only when using SNA.

Any suggestions / ideas?

Thanks,

Mike Klaene
Analyst
SMS - Shared Medical Systems

2. CAVO 2.0 and DLL

3. Why can't use EDTMSK but can use EDTWRD in PF?

4. Sharing Visio Database

5. AS/400 LPD to LPR

6. Upload Problem

7. problem with AS/400 LPD

8. embedded postscript figures

9. LPD/LPR to a HP Jet direct Printer box from AS/400

10. file & mailbox-names cause problems with Line Printer Daemon (LPD) OS/400 V3.2-CISC

11. Flex/IP - LPD and AS/400 -LPR Does not always work!

12. AS/400 printing to NT from LPR/LPD Queue

13. LPD/LPR with multi-attributes on AS/400 spool file.