Any way to reference a field reference file from SQL?

Any way to reference a field reference file from SQL?

Post by Lee » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to do a create table in a SQL source file, and I want to
get the field attributes from a field reference file.

Any way to do that?

Any way to reference a field reference file from SQL?

Post by Paul Nicola » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi Lee,

No, but with UDB400 you could create types as a replacement for reference
fields.

Regards,
Paul
----------------

Quote:> I'm trying to do a create table in a SQL source file, and I want to
> get the field attributes from a field reference file.

> Any way to do that?

Any way to reference a field reference file from SQL?

Post by Kent Milliga » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Remarkably enough, I'm not aware of any SQL database that provides full field
reference file type of support.

Programmers on other databases use 3rd party PC tools to handle this SQL
limitation.

--
Kent Milligan, DB2 & BI team
PartnerWorld for Developers, AS/400

(opinions stated are not necessarily those of my employer)

1. SQL field reference

I've been experimenting with creating files (tables) by using SQL and have
been able to duplicate most of the functionality of a DDS physical file
definition except for referencing a field in one table to another.

For example, we have a physical file, XXREF, where system-wide fields are
defined.

XXREF

NAME        20A
ADDRESS    30A

In file CUSTOMER we have:

REF(XXREF)
CUSNAM                  REF(NAME)
ADDR1                      REF(ADDRESS)
ADDR2                      REF(ADDRESS)

How do I duplicate this functionality in SQL? Or should I be thinking along
some new model design?

Thanks,
Steve

2. Internet at Boot

3. *DTADCT vs. DDS field reference files

4. System Lock-up

5. Determine Reference Field from System Catalog?

6. Amiga disc Read/Write

7. DB2 UDB Family SQL Reference Online

8. What's the difference between WE 1.03 and Secure WE 1.1?

9. v5R1 SQL reference material & tools

10. System cross reference file & V3R1

11. cross reference file error

12. cross reference database file - can i modify it?

13. Quick reference for QShell