sql performance monitor

Post by Robert Davi » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 02:40:26

Hi

I just recently solved(partially) my performance problem on the as400 by running this tool.
It is activated from Client access's Operation Navigator. Under database/sql performance monitor it is turned on and off. It stores its data in db files on the 400 that can be accessed with any sql tool.

It shows:
1. index creation
2. index use
3. time to execute sql statements
4. temp file creation
5. sorting

and lots of other data too.

bob

--
        The phenomenon of UFO doesn't say anything about
    the presence of intelligence in space.

web:   http://people.ne.mediaone.net/rsdavis
       http://rsdavis.ne.mediaone.net
n42 58.476 w70 55.454

sql performance monitor

Post by Chris Robert » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 05:23:14

..and you never know, IBM might just have some redpapers on the topic too:

Quote:> Hi

> I just recently solved(partially) my performance problem on the as400 by
running this tool.
> It is activated from Client access's Operation Navigator. Under

database/sql performance monitor it is turned on and off. It stores its data
in db files on the 400 that can be accessed with any sql tool.

> It shows:
> 1. index creation
> 2. index use
> 3. time to execute sql statements
> 4. temp file creation
> 5. sorting

> and lots of other data too.

> bob

> --
> The phenomenon of UFO doesn't say anything about
>     the presence of intelligence in space.
>   It just shows how rare it is here on the earth.
>                                     A.C.Clarke

> web:   http://people.ne.mediaone.net/rsdavis
>        http://rsdavis.ne.mediaone.net
> n42 58.476 w70 55.454

sql performance monitor

Post by Chris Robert » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 05:30:32

Try looking on http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/Redpapers/ for
the redpapers on VE and the database monitor.

There is also more material on www.as400.ibm.com/developer/ (direct link
http://www.as400.ibm.com/developer/bi/documents/as400dbm.html but it starts
to download lots of BIG images) in the Business Intelligence section and a
whole manual dedicated to the topic in V4R5 publib.

Better still, attend the IBM course on the subject
http://www-3.ibm.com/servlet/com.ibm.ls.lsow.servlets.CourseDescripti...
et?coursecode=S6140

Chris.

--

London, United Kingdom.

DISCLAIMER: This is a private/personal Internet account. The comments
contained herein are those of the author and are not those of any commercial
entity or group unless otherwise stated.

Quote:> Hi

> I just recently solved(partially) my performance problem on the as400 by
running this tool.
> It is activated from Client access's Operation Navigator. Under

database/sql performance monitor it is turned on and off. It stores its data
in db files on the 400 that can be accessed with any sql tool.

> It shows:
> 1. index creation
> 2. index use
> 3. time to execute sql statements
> 4. temp file creation
> 5. sorting

> and lots of other data too.

> bob

> --
> The phenomenon of UFO doesn't say anything about
>     the presence of intelligence in space.
>   It just shows how rare it is here on the earth.
>                                     A.C.Clarke

> web:   http://people.ne.mediaone.net/rsdavis
>        http://rsdavis.ne.mediaone.net
> n42 58.476 w70 55.454

sql performance monitor

Post by Robert Davi » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 09:12:43

Thanks for documentation pointer.
bob

--