Delivery of CA95/NT to Customers

Post by Don Hai » Sun, 16 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I have heard that the Client Access 95/NT programs will automatically be
sent out to AS/400 customers running V3R7.  Is this correct?  Will there
be a new manual - especially as concerns direct IPX attachment?

Delivery of CA95/NT to Customers

Post by Ken Frosc » Mon, 17 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Don,

  This is true. There is an autoshipment to all V3R7 customers (expect
it in the next 5-10 business days). There is updated documentation,
however, it is not incredibly detailed. You can look at the new manual,
SC41-3512-2 at
http://AS400BKS.rochester.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/bookmgr.cmd/BOOK...

If you need any help, we have configured many clients, and can help you.

Ken Frosch
Thoroughbred Consulting Company

Delivery of CA95/NT to Customers

Post by Stuart Millingt » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Don,

>  This is true. There is an autoshipment to all V3R7 customers (expect
>it in the next 5-10 business days). There is updated documentation,
>however, it is not incredibly detailed. You can look at the new manual,

   Has IBM stopped supporting V3R2 already, or is this preferential
treatment for customers that have done "the right thing" and migrated
to RISC !?!

-                           http://www.wormhole.demon.co.uk -

Delivery of CA95/NT to Customers

Post by Ken Frosc » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Stuart,

 Come on. Let's get real. 5716Xd1 is part of a little known interim
release called V3R7AF (Advanced Function). This includes wonderous
support for Pentium IPCS's as well as other updated software.  V3R7AF
was a free, auto-ship release.

 How many of times have you complained that IBM confused you with all of
the interim releases (V3R0M5, V3R1M1). This is a quick, easy and
efficiant way to do this.

 This is not evidence of preferential treatment. If anything, it is
evidence that IBM has reaffirmed it's support for V3R2 and CISC (see
announcements that extend support until 12/31/99. If enough of us talk
about CISC and how we love it, there will be enhancements and continued
support (Ala S/36. . .)

 Relax, and enjoy the support.

Ken Frosch
Thoroughbred Consulting Company

Delivery of CA95/NT to Customers

Post by Stuart Millingt » Sun, 23 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Come on. Let's get real. 5716Xd1 is part of a little known interim
>release called V3R7AF (Advanced Function). This includes wonderous
>support for Pentium IPCS's as well as other updated software.  V3R7AF
>was a free, auto-ship release.

     What I was commenting on was that V3R7 customers will, according
to earlier articles in this thread, get the V3R1M2 - Windows NT Client
Access auto-shipped to them. Those of us on V3R2 will, either have to
order manually or hopefully will get a re-order form in the post. My
comment was why do V3R7 customers get this automatically and not the
rest of us, wouldn't it be fairly easy for IBM to autoship to V3R2
customers aswell.

     (I'm not so lazy I can't order the new client manually. I was
just curious about the logic behind this decision.)

Quote:> How many of times have you complained that IBM confused you with all of
>the interim releases (V3R0M5, V3R1M1). This is a quick, easy and
>efficiant way to do this.

     personnaly - never

Quote:> This is not evidence of preferential treatment. If anything, it is
>evidence that IBM has reaffirmed it's support for V3R2 and CISC (see
>announcements that extend support until 12/31/99. If enough of us talk
>about CISC and how we love it, there will be enhancements and continued
>support (Ala S/36. . .)

     I for one am very greatfull for continued support for CISC. My
F.D. seems very unlikely to let me upgrade to RISC before RISC becomes
obselete :-)

-                           http://www.wormhole.demon.co.uk -

Delivery of CA95/NT to Customers

Post by David G. Abramowit » Sun, 23 Mar 1997 04:00:00

IBM is not the IBM I grew up to know and love.

My conversations with any IBM sales reps these days, have me
listening to diatribes about the benefits of RISC systems,
without any thoughts to the budgetary concerns of my clients.

That is, if you can find a sales rep. Recently, for a small
client, interested in upgrading their aging B10, IBM actually
referred me to a VAR business partner, rather than sell me
equipment themselves!!!

Try asking an IBM sales rep about the newly announced 9401 model
150, and then try not to laugh at the response!

                David Abramowitz

--
David G. Abramowitz

Delivery of CA95/NT to Customers

Post by Stuart Millingt » Mon, 24 Mar 1997 04:00:00

On 22 Mar 1997 22:29:21 GMT, David G. Abramowitz

>Try asking an IBM sales rep about the newly announced 9401 model
>150, and then try not to laugh at the response!

     Especially while they don't sell it with a usable tape drive (one
that will back up the maximum 16GB DASD configuration !!)

Post by Darryl John » Mon, 24 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> On 22 Mar 1997 22:29:21 GMT, David G. Abramowitz

> >Try asking an IBM sales rep about the newly announced 9401 model
> >150, and then try not to laugh at the response!

>      Especially while they don't sell it with a usable tape drive (one
> that will back up the maximum 16GB DASD configuration !!)

> -                           http://www.wormhole.demon.co.uk -
> -------------------------------------------------------------I have 9401-150 installed in my home for testing, demo, and

development. My feelings about the technology are somewhat
biased...I find this machine a pleasure to use.

However, the comment about asking an IBM salesperson about the
model 9401-150 needs some clarification. The fact is, as reps
we do not sell this product. The price point of $8 - $15,000
(for hardware AND software) dictated that it should go to
the dealer channel. So only IRs can market this product and
take orders.

I can't go without saying something about your comments
concerning why Client Access Windows 95/NT is only being
autoshipped to V3R7 customers, and not those on V3R2.
I think the issue may be related to how confortable
the distribution folks are with the integrity of correct
contacts and addresses in our database for RISC vs. CISC
customers. I know personally that we would have preferred
to autoship to everyone.

Regards,

Darryl Johns
IBM AS/400 Software Consultant
(opinions expressed are my own)

Delivery of CA95/NT to Customers

Post by wan.. » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

1. Errors with CA95/NT (v3r1m2, SF39220)

We've been running the latest CA95/NT with SF39220 service pack for a
few weeks and gert a message when tryint to close a 5250 session
sometimes.
pcsws caused a GP fault. or something close to that. :)
Any ideas?
Thanx.

2. FS: PicassoII & Ethernet Card

3. Not receiving read and delivery receipts on POP

4. vCards

5. CA95/NT FTP Problem

6. NIC configuraton info

7. IDEAssociate Customers in the UK

8. Context Switching and TS 4.0 SP6a

9. CA95/NT 313 EXCEL Addin Function

10. CA95/NT PC5250 Printer Emulation Difficulties

11. AFP via CA95/NT - How? What gives?

12. "hidden" 5250 sessions under CA95/NT

13. CA95/NT Data Transfer over TCP/IP