Connecting 2 AS400's with SNADS using TCP/IP

Connecting 2 AS400's with SNADS using TCP/IP

Post by Ray Roger » Tue, 30 Dec 1997 04:00:00

We have two AS400's as nodes on an Ethernet network.  Both machines are on
V3R7, and both machines have TCP/IP configured.  Does anyone now how to set
up SNADS using TCP/IP.  We did have both of these machines connected with
SNADS using a 56k leases line, but now that they are on the network we are
getting rid of the 56k line and hoping to be able to connect the two
machines with our Frame Relay lines that are routing TCP/IP.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ray

Connecting 2 AS400's with SNADS using TCP/IP

Post by Christophe Daeninc » Tue, 30 Dec 1997 04:00:00

We did it  with 4 AS/400 (a mixture of RISC and CISC) and it is not so hard.

1- The net attribute ALWANYNET must be *YES (change with CHGNETA)
2- Make the necessary entry in the TCP/IP host table entry (CFGTCP) and add
the IP number of the other machine with a name like
remote control point.remote network id.SNA.IBM.COM (e.g.
UCOYA.AS400.SNA.IBM.COM)
3- Make an APPC controller type = *ANYNW and use the same remote network id
and remote control point.
4- Verify on the controller you just made.

I hope i haven't forgot a thing but e-mail me the result.

Greetings

Christophe

Quote:>We have two AS400's as nodes on an Ethernet network.  Both machines are on
>V3R7, and both machines have TCP/IP configured.  Does anyone now how to set
>up SNADS using TCP/IP.  We did have both of these machines connected with
>SNADS using a 56k leases line, but now that they are on the network we are
>getting rid of the 56k line and hoping to be able to connect the two
>machines with our Frame Relay lines that are routing TCP/IP.  Any help
>would be appreciated.

>Thanks
>Ray

Connecting 2 AS400's with SNADS using TCP/IP

Post by Jim Stewar » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I believe it is also required to create configuration list entries from each
machine to the other. Use WRKCFGL and be sure the SSCPID is under system name.
*NETATR can probably be used for network names and control point ID should be
"TCPIP" which points back to the *ANYNW controller created in the previous
step.

Also for QSNADS to work normally you will need to run CFGDSTSRV to setup the
pointers between SSCPIDS, although there may be little, if any difference from
what you had before.

> We have two AS400's as nodes on an Ethernet network.  Both machines are on
> V3R7, and both machines have TCP/IP configured.  Does anyone now how to set
> up SNADS using TCP/IP.  We did have both of these machines connected with
> SNADS using a 56k leases line, but now that they are on the network we are
> getting rid of the 56k line and hoping to be able to connect the two
> machines with our Frame Relay lines that are routing TCP/IP.  Any help
> would be appreciated.

> Thanks
> Ray

Connecting 2 AS400's with SNADS using TCP/IP

Post by Dave » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Ray,

Before I start, let me explain TCP-IP and SNADS a little.  TCP-IP is a
communications protocol.
SNADS uses the APPC protocol.  You really don't set up SNADS using TCP-IP.
Protocols
are kind of like languages.  What you ask would be like asking "How do I
speak English in
French?"  What you want, I believe, is to use your network connection
(Ethernet or Token Ring)
to connect your AS/400s.  The network infrastructure is like a phone
system.  I can speak both
English and French on my phone at the same time.  (That is, assuming I have
both English speaking
and French Speaking people on the other end.)  I hope I haven't come off
sounding bad.  My intent
is to give you a better understanding of what you are working with.

Any, you set up SNADS the same way.  Only the controller you create is
attached to the
network card (Ethernet or Token Ring) instead of the 56Kb line.  You will
definitely notice
an improvement in throughput.  If you have other questions, you me e-mail
me directly at

anyway I can.

Good Luck.
Dave Caldwell

Quote:> We have two AS400's as nodes on an Ethernet network.  Both machines are
on
> V3R7, and both machines have TCP/IP configured.  Does anyone now how to
set
> up SNADS using TCP/IP.  We did have both of these machines connected with
> SNADS using a 56k leases line, but now that they are on the network we
are
> getting rid of the 56k line and hoping to be able to connect the two
> machines with our Frame Relay lines that are routing TCP/IP.  Any help
> would be appreciated.

> Thanks
> Ray

1. AS/400 -> PC's Printing using TCP/IP

Hello !

We have a Ethernet Lan on witch Printers are connected and have
IP addresse (Jetdirect Print Servers Mannaged by an NT Server).

This lan is remotely connected to an AS/400 running TCP/IP,I use
TN5250 to performe Terminal emulation, what about the printing
features, what kind of device (I suppose on witch i will specify
the Ip Adress of the Printer) have i to create ?

Thanks for your help !

2. Uninstall win2000 on a dual-boot partition

3. 16 bit CA API's unavailable for use when using 32 bit tcp/ip

4. Problems with Kurta IS/ONE

5. Remote TCP/IP lan connecting to my AS400

6. More Sun Stuff Forsale

7. SNADS Requiremtnts From TCP-IP to Token-Ring

8. Oracle Rdb Technical Update in NY - Invitation

9. Problems with AS400's TCP/IP Configuration

10. SNADS on TCP/IP .

11. TCP/IP portrestrictions AS400 doesn't work?

12. SNADS over TCP/ip Lan Connection

13. TCP/IP over SNADS