AS400 via Internet Browser

Post by pdrape » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Can anyone give me advice on using Internet Explorer to connect to an
AS400?

I'm trying to connect to my As400 from home via Internet Explorer on
Windows 3.1 and get a message that says it cannot be loaded, no further
diagnostics. I can connect at the office using IE4 on Windows NT. We have a
firewall on the network but the administrator tells me it should allow HTTP
connections from any source. Is it likely that my ISP at home (Compuserve)
doesn't allow me to use HTTP or is there something I should have in my IE
configuration?

Paul Draper

0171 369 2754

AS400 via Internet Browser

Post by Paul Nicola » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi Paul,

Your administrator probably means that from the internal network, you can
access all external HTTP servers.  Being able to access your AS/400 from
the outside world is something quite different that needs answers to
following questions;

- Is the firewall routing port 80 (or another) to the AS/400
- Has the AS/400 TCP/IP, HTTP, ... configured
- Do you need HTML access, or something like WSG
- ...

Kind regards,
Paul
________________________

> Can anyone give me advice on using Internet Explorer to connect to an
> AS400?

> I'm trying to connect to my As400 from home via Internet Explorer on
> Windows 3.1 and get a message that says it cannot be loaded, no further
> diagnostics. I can connect at the office using IE4 on Windows NT. We have
> firewall on the network but the administrator tells me it should allow
HTTP
> connections from any source. Is it likely that my ISP at home
(Compuserve)
> doesn't allow me to use HTTP or is there something I should have in my IE
> configuration?

> Paul Draper

> 0171 369 2754

       my employer, Merck & Co., Inc.  All responsibility for the statements
       sender.

AS400 via Internet Browser

Post by Andrew McClur » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hey Pauls,

    Something else you may have forgotten...If you firewall was setup by any
worthy source, he/she would make sure that you cannot link to any host that
contains a protected database.

Andy

AS400 via Internet Browser

Post by pdrape » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi Paul,

> Your administrator probably means that from the internal network, you can
> access all external HTTP servers.  Being able to access your AS/400 from
> the outside world is something quite different that needs answers to
> following questions;

> - Is the firewall routing port 80 (or another) to the AS/400
> - Has the AS/400 TCP/IP, HTTP, ... configured
> - Do you need HTML access, or something like WSG
> - ...

Thanks for replying.

I have the As400 configured with TCP/IP and HTTP etc. and WSG set up and I
can access it from the office network. It seems that the firewall is the
culprit as it is set up to allow outside access to our web pages only. I'm
going to try to get my home pc set up as a trusted source.

--
Paul Draper

0171 369 2754

AS400 via Internet Browser

Post by Gerhard Possl » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

WSG is using an special port: 5061, be sure that port is open!
you can test the connection to your webserver making an telnet to AS/400 ip
using port 80
than type: html, you must get an replay that looks like an HTML-source code.

best regards gerhard

> > Hi Paul,

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

AS400 via Internet Browser

Post by Paul Nicola » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi Gerhard,

5061 is not the only port which is used for WSG, it's only the one on which
everything is initiated.  Additional ports are opened (above 1024) for the
session itself (the same is true for FTP, TELNET, ...) which makes it more
difficult to keep the firewall/intranet safe.

Regards,
Paul
______________

> Hi,

> WSG is using an special port: 5061, be sure that port is open!
> you can test the connection to your webserver making an telnet to AS/400
ip
> using port 80
> than type: html, you must get an replay that looks like an HTML-source
code.

> best regards gerhard

       my employer, Merck & Co., Inc.  All responsibility for the statements
       sender.

1. Connect to AS400 via Internet Browser

Does anyone out there know if it is possible to connect (and by that, I
mean get a signon screen) either locally or remotely to an AS400 from a
PC's internet browser using the tcp/ip address for the 400?  If so, are
there noteworthy pros/cons/requirements (besides the obvious of an AS400
running tcp/ip, PC with an internet browser, and a means of communication
'tween the two)?

I seem to recall reading that it was possible, but we do not have the
ability to test it here.  We're going through some technological growing,
and it would seem much better than dial-up modems and Client Access.

Thanks for any input!
BillD

2. BIOS upgrade for Acer computer desktop

3. Remote Connect To AS400 Via Internet Browser

4. Anybody have registered MakeCD?

5. Is there an Internet browser for the AS400?

6. CFM68k projects

7. Internet browser (IE 3.0) and FTP

8. Front Page Server or MS Personal Server

9. how to telnet to as/400 thru internet browser

10. AS400 access via internet

11. internet mail to as400 via slip dial up

12. Rent time on AS400 via the Internet

13. How can I reach an AS400 with Client Access Express via Internet?