language performance

Post by chxy » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 05:42:31

Does an AS/400 program written using RPG have better performance than
using C++?  Could RPG provide low-level system control such as File
access in IFS, job control and hardware control?

language performance

Post by Dan Hick » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 04:06:22

> Does an AS/400 program written using RPG have better performance than
> using C++?  Could RPG provide low-level system control such as File
> access in IFS, job control and hardware control?

The performance of binary computations, control flow, subroutine
calls, etc, will generally be much better in C, C++, or Java.
Decimal arithmetic and some operations that require intimate access
to DB files, etc, will normally be much faster with RPG.  The
languages are probably on about equal footing for job/hardware
control and possibly IFS access.

--
Dan Hicks
Life is the childhood of our immortality.  --Goethe