? about frame relay for AS400 WAN.

Post by Jeff Dav » Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Frame Relay is definitely an option.  I don't know about U.S. pricing, but I'd
guess you might be looking at $300.00 - $400.00/drop/month.  I've worked with
FRADs connecting multiple AS/400s and 5294/5394/5494 controllers, and it works
quite well.  You need to look at things like CIR (Committed Information Rate -
your guaranteed bandwidth).  A 56K Frame Relay line doesn't guarantee you 56K
of bandwidth.  Here in Canada the network is generally underutilized, so its
not a big concern, but I understand that the situation may not be so favorable
in the U.S.  In terms of comm equipment, I'd look at SNA friendly routers
(such as IBM's 2210 series), rather than FRADs (IBM's 2218s, Motorola
Vanguards), especially if you anticipate having more than twinax workstations
in your future.  Routers give you a lot more future flexibility if you start
adding PCs and/or Network Computers.

Jeff Davis
AS/400 Support Analyst
Calgary, Alberta

>We are looking for a more cost effective way of connecting our remote
>locations to our AS400.  We currently use a leased 56k multi-drop circuit
>to connect 3 remote locations to our main system.  It works ok, but it is
>VERY expensive, $2800/mo for all locations.  The remotes are 5394
>controllers with approx 8 twinax workstations at each location.  I'm new to
>the frame relay world, and was wondering if this would be a viable solution
>for us.  From what little information I have been able to gather, it seems
>that frame offers better reliablitly at a substantially lowere cost.
>Anyone, have any suggestions or experience?  I would appreciate anything.

Jeff Davis                     Quantum Data
AS/400 Support Analyst         1136 - 10th Avenue S.W.

Cell:   (403) 861-0353         Phone:  (403) 297-0200
                               Fax:    (403) 297-0209

? about frame relay for AS400 WAN.

Post by James S. Gregor » Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:00:00

 Jeff:
We recently switched from 14.4k point to point leased lines to 56k frame
relay and have been very satisfied with the result.  Our only problem was
finding a reseller that was familiar with AS/400 and routers.  Seem to be
plenty of people out there that know a lot about routers but not many are
AS400 aware.  Our config is 3 remotes using 5494 controllers with Cisco 2500
series routers running TCP/IP with SNA encapsulated for AS400 devices.  Two
of these sites also have IBM (Norand) Radio Frequency Controllers emulating
5394 controllers.  We use Adtran CSU/DSU which have ISDN support also for
dial backup in case a link goes down. Our Frame is fully meshed which means
that each site can go directly to one of the others without coming to the
central site.  This would not be as important in your situation, but we also
have LANs at each site running various Windows based networking.  It also
provides alternate routing back to the AS/400 if a remote link fails.  All
of these remotes are tied to our Ethernet adapter in the AS/400.  (even the
twinax devices! go figure)  Good luck

James Gregory
IS Project Leader
McKechnie Vehicle Components

>We are looking for a more cost effective way of connecting our remote
>locations to our AS400.  We currently use a leased 56k multi-drop circuit
>to connect 3 remote locations to our main system.  It works ok, but it is
>VERY expensive, $2800/mo for all locations.  The remotes are 5394
>controllers with approx 8 twinax workstations at each location.  I'm new to
>the frame relay world, and was wondering if this would be a viable solution
>for us.  From what little information I have been able to gather, it seems
>that frame offers better reliablitly at a substantially lowere cost.
>Anyone, have any suggestions or experience?  I would appreciate anything.

>--
>Thanks,
>Jeff Cofield

>Computer Systems Analyst
>Gold Coast Freightways, Inc.

1. Help w/Frame Relay WAN, 5494, etc.

Can someone tell me if this can be done:

With an IBM2666 high speed communications adapter connecting the AS/400 to
the frame relay cloud, and a remote office with the 5494 remote controller
and Token Ring or Ethernet bridge-- Can I install Personal Communications
or Client Access onto a PC with a Token Ring or Ethernet adapter, go
through the 5494 to the 2666, and establish a 5250 connection to the
AS/400, or must the host end have a FRAD which connects to a Token Ring or
Ethernet adapter in the AS/400, instead of the 2666?

How does the 5494 bridge work?

Any assistance will be GREATLY appreciated!  Thank you!

--
Marcus S. Sutliff; Teleplanning Associates, Inc.
Voice: 405-721-8875  Fax: 721-9161  http://www.michaelgrp.com

2. Questions: X-10 Lamp Modules

3. AS/400 and Frame Relay WAN

4. CU-SeeMe Client

5. Line/Ctl/Dev Multi AS/400's on Ethernet WAN frame relay

6. Xbox Live Clan Members Wanted!

7. Client Access, WFW, Frame Relay, Cisco, AS400

8. Post Array ASP

9. as400 - ethernet - cisco - frame relay and 5494

10. AS400 and frame Relay

11. Tuning for Routed Env & Frame Relay

12. frame relay

13. Frame relay connection AS/400 <-> AS/400